We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sicily By Car???

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cork city
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sicily By Car???

I have booked a car from Sicily By Car from Pisa airport for next week and l am now very nervous after reading reviews!! Has anyone had a positive experience with Sicily By Car??

39 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,075 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sicily By Car???

It would be best if you could cancel your booking. Autoeuropa is not a reputable supplier.

Vagabonda

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sicily By Car???

Sicily By Car is best avoided. …blogspot.com/2013/08/what-you-need-to-know-…

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sicily By Car???

Yep, cancel and rent from someone more reputable.

Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sicily By Car???

From December 28th 2013 until January 3rd 2014 my wife and I rented a car from Sicily by Car (represented by Auto Europa).

When we returned the car on January 3rd the employee of Sicily by Car claimed that a part of the inflation kit was missing and that we had to pay for it. I believe he said that it concerned something like a tube of glue, but later on the employee refused to explain exactly what would be missing from the kit.

When we received the car on December 28th the employee of Sicily by Car (the same that handled the return) did not did check the car together with us, nor did he show us the inflation kit to confirm that it was complete when we received the car. Actually we were not even informed that there was an inflation kit in the car. So we know that we had not used the inflation kit as we were not even aware that there was one in the car.

On January 22nd we were charged on our credit card the amount of € 128,16.

I obviously didn’t agree with this absurd charge and successfully requested a charge back by the credit card company. Later on the chargeback was disputed, but I insisted in the charge back and never heard of this charge again.

On 20-05-2014 we were charged € 61,00 by Auto Europa for handling/postal fee for a traffic fine that we would have received in Rome.

We do not remember to have passed with this car through the street were the offense would have been committed according to Auto Europa (although this turned out to be a very recognizable place in front of the Colosseum). Auto Europa stated in its letter that it would have passed our data to the authorities and that we would be fined directly by this authorities. But until today we have not received any notice from the police of Rome about the fine that we would have received.

So for this “administration costs” I also requested a charge back by the credit card company. This charge back has been disputed twice already, but I am insisting in the charge back.

My advice: avoid Sicily by Car/Auto Europa and other low budget companies and invest in a rental company with a good name because this turns out to be cheaper in the long run without headaches. Last vacation we rented a car from Avis and it was a world of difference. The staff was professional and polite and the car was thoroughly checked together with us before the car was handed over to us.

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sicily By Car???

They are awful - overbooked and understaffed - avoid if you can

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sicily By Car???

I agree that AutoeuropA is a 2nd rate organization, however I rented many times from their Pisa Airport desk without a problem. I got the impression that the employees there were decent folks who were overworked and poorly managed. So if you can't rent from another rental company, don't worry, it will work out ok. Be friendly and patient , and make sure any damage is noted on the paperwork, and photograph the car and damage both inbound and outbound.

Edited: 5:28 pm, October 02, 2014
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,075 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sicily By Car???

Although it could vary location to location, no one could guarantee that it will work out ok, so if possible, avoid this supplier.

Vagabonda

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sicily By Car???

Very true that no one can guarantee any results involving car rentals. The OP asked about specific experiences to help judge the risk. On this Forum there are complaints about virtually every car rental company and car rental broker, including Hertz, Avis, and Autoeurope, but a prospective traveler needs all opinions to make their own decision.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,075 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sicily By Car???

Fair enough Mike M, and the information should be balanced with all opinions, and yes, there are complaints about all suppliers, and location can make a difference, but Sicily by Car is notoriously horrific in more cases than not.

It's really unfortunate for those hardworking honest suppliers.

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sicily By Car???

AutoEuropa / Sicily by car.

This is the worst car rental company I have ever dealt with.

They will steal money from you, up to a year after the rental!

Yes they are cheap initially, but if you count in the money they steal afterwards, then anyone is cheaper.

If I had reviewed the company before now I would have said they are fine ... until I started seeing the charges on my credit card 6 months after the rental!

For your own sake, cancel the booking and book with one of the more reputable companies.

Reply to: Sicily By Car???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted