We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Italy

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
68 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in Italy

I tried to look for tickets on the Trenitalia web site and it wont allow me to search out times. I live in Canada and it (the site) informs me I have to book my tickets through Manditours in Toronto. They tell me it is a one time $25 fee. Is there any way around this? Should I buy my tickets ahead of time? I will be traveling with my adult son. I am wondering If I should just buy a Eurail Pass? We will start in Rome, then Venice, Levento, Naoles, Pompei then down to Sicily via ferry.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Italy

Do not buy a pass. It will cost more than ordinary tickets, especially as passes to not include the €10 fee for the seat reservation required on all the fast trains.

You should be able to go to www.trenitalia.com and click on the UK flag to get train times. I have not previously heard of this site redirecting anyone to another web site. If you have problems with Trenitalia, try www.italiarail.com

For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You should also check the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Italy

Yep.....Eurail passes are a lousy deal. Avoid them.

3. Re: Train travel in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 09, 2014