We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

Hi,

I'm in the planning of my trip and checking the train schedules the last train of the day from Pisa to Naples leaves at 7:11pm, it stops at Florence at 8pm and you have to transfer to another train that leaves at 8:04pm, so you have only 4 mins to catch the other train, is this feasible? Somebody did this before?

Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

This is very foolish. Trains are often late, particularly Regional trains. This is not regarded as a permissible connection time by Trenitalia, and if you miss your onward train your ticket will be worthless.

To make that last train, the Trenitalia website advises the 18.32 from Pisa, giving a 32 minute connection time.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

That's pretty tight, but trenitalia don't offer a route if the transfer times aren't possible. Florence is a terminal station, so there's no steps or subways involved in changing trains. I'm guessing that if they allow a booking with such a short transfer the trains would have to be either side of the same platform. Still I'd be very uncomfortable with just 4 minutes. And if they're not on the same platform: well, Italian trains wait for no one. Also, most trains from Pisa to Florence are local Regionale trains, with more chance of being a little late because of their many stops than the faster express trains.

Can you get an earlier train from Pisa?

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

We would so absolutely no way in heck. Do please heed Perilizia's words, and know that just yesterday, while on that same regionale train, it was 10 minutes late. It often is. We speak, sadly, from vast experience.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

Agree, it is way too tight and the regional trains are frequently delayed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

No way - it takes a few minutes just to get off the train - you don't just (unfortunately) magically appear in front of the departure board - you have to walk the track platform at which you arrive (and sometimes you can end up way at the end and have the full length of the platform to walk), then you have to scope out the departure board to find out which track your other train is leaving from and walk to it.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

Thanks everybody for your answers.

I was trying to take this train because I wanted more time in Pisa. My plan is to arrive to Florence airport at noon and have ~2 hours to drop luggage in a friends house and take the train to Pisa, there I'll go to the top of the tower (buying the tkt on Monday), I've been in Pisa before, but never went to the top. Then go to Naples, I now is pretty tight schedule, any ideas to save time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

Go directly to Pisa after arriving in Florence - leave your bags in left luggage at the Florence train station, hop on a train to Pisa - that will save you a bit of time instead of going first to your friend's house.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

You could take the night train direct from Pisa to Naples at 02.25.

Or for an earlier start, the night train direct from Pisa to Salerno at 00.01 arriving at 05.56, then come back to Naples by fast expensive train or slow cheap Regional train as you wish.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

What is the best way to get from Pisa to Naples (without a car)? Would it be best to fly from Pisa to Naples or train it.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,807 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Pisa to Naples transfer 4 mins

There are no direct flights from Pisa to Naples. Train will be cheaper and faster - see www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… entering Pisa Centrale to Napoli Centrale and your 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00.

Note that train connections with a change in Florence, which are sometimes faster than the shorter distance route direct to Rome, are not yet online for dates after June 13. If you wish to go via Florence, you can book Firenze S.M.Novella to Napoli Centrale for dates after June 13, and buy a Regional connection from Pisa to Florence in Italy.

Edited: 5:46 am, March 12, 2014