We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions around Pisa

Which Pisa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
115 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Excursions around Pisa

I want to make a trip to Pisa next month with my parents. We will be there around 3 or 4 days. Our plan is staying in Pisa and doing short day trips to nearby towns, as we have already been to Pisa before. One day we wanted to go to Cinque Terre, another to Lucca (that is pretty close and with easy access by train).

Our doubt is if we can do a day trip to Siena, because I can't find a train or bus connection. In case it is too difficult (or too far), any suggestions on where to go on the last day? We've been to Firenze already, so we are rulling that one out.

Thanks in advance!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,522 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions around Pisa

You can take the train. You would need to change at Empoli and the journey takes 1 hr 45. The train station is on the outskirts of Siena so you will need to walk, taxi or bus to the centre.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,241 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions around Pisa

You can also visit Volterra www.discovertuscany.com/volterra from Pisa by buses www.cpt.pisa.it/orare/extra/E190E_FR.pdf www.cpt.pisa.it/orare/extra/E500E_FR.pdf

Trains to Siena and Cinque Terre www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html check train times over the next seven days, and enter Monterosso for Cinque Terre destination.

www.discovertuscany.com

www.cinqueterreonline.com

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
115 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions around Pisa

Thanks for the options! Pity that Volterra is 2 buses away, seems pretty! I am trying to find "easy / direct options" because I am travelling with my parents.

Thanks also for the Siena directions. Change in Empoli then! Do you know if there's a direct bus from Pisa? (just in case)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,241 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions around Pisa

Buses you would have to travel Pisa to Florence to Siena

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
115 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions around Pisa

Aw thanks for that. Pity that there are not direct buses from Pisa to Siena (or San Gimignano, that was another of our options).

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,522 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excursions around Pisa

Only one bus a day between Pisa airport and Siena and it wouldn't get you there until 3 in the afternoon and there is one back until 7am the next day, so that really isn't an option. San Gimignano would involve train to Empoli, train to Poggibonsi, bus to San Gimignano, so isn't straightforward either.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Excursions around Pisa

This local blogger has an article with ideas, athomeintuscany.org/2012/…

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
115 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excursions around Pisa

Thanks for all the info, it is very appreciated!

Just a last question. Any place on internet where I can find information about the ferries in Cinque Terre? I know that there are some boat trips that show the towns from the sea and that sounds nice.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excursions around Pisa

…cnpstudio.it/USER_CONTENT/…

mesh

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
115 posts
137 reviews