We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa

lpool
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa

Thinking of staying in Pisa for seven nights and travelling around daily to explore the area...i thought Pisa might be good for transport or would Forence be a better base...after 2/3 nights in Pisa....any advice would be appreciated.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa

Florence is a much better base. It is more beautiful, there is much more to see and do and it will give you better access to public transportation to other parts of Tuscany. I wouldn't stay in Pisa for more than one or two nights.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,076 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa

Agree that Florence would be a better base for visiting other places of Interest.

Train from Florence connects Pisa and Lucca www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Check train times over the next seven days.

Buses Florence to Siena and San Gimignano

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/firenze-siena2010.pdf

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/…20gimignano2010.pdf

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Tuscany information www.italia.it/en/home.html

lpool
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pisa

Thanks to you both for your prompt and helpful replies.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pisa

Also....look at Lucca for a base. Good transportation links (train, bus), more reasonable and "local" accommodations, food to die for, great shopping, and the opportunity to stroll on the walls in the cool of the evening.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pisa

Lucca would make a wonderful base. Much smaller than Florence yet with good train connections to many places in Tuscany. Much more charming than Pisa and so very walkable.

lpool
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pisa

Once again thanks for you help....i think i might have to revise the timing of my trip....temperatures of 85+ are not ideal for me when travelling around...perhaps September might be a better idea.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pisa

Those high temps do wear you out.

I was in Lucca from mid April to mid May this year and the temps were cool (60-70) which was wonderful. It was a bit rainy, but I actually found that much better than summer heat.

8. Re: Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, July 09, 2013