We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Hi everyone

We are looking at either going to Venice or Florence & Pisa in June.

The flight to Pisa lands at 11.30pm. Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay seeing as we'd be arriving very late. Would we be better off staying near the hotel or going into Pisa? All we'd like to do in Pisa the next day is see the leaning tower before going onto Florence.

Many Thanks

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

for one night could be ok a hotel near the airport (my hotel galiley, for instance) or a hotel or bb in the center...

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Thanks for the quick reply. Am I correct in saying the airport is near the city centre? We are flying with Ryanair so want to be sure!!!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

I usually go into the centre. There are no hotels on site at the airport, so you'll need to get a taxi anyway. If you are already in the centre, you can get up in the morning, check out, ask your hotel to look after your bags then go to the Campo dei Miracoli, have lunch or whatever, then pick up your bags and go to catch your train to Florence (or Venice).

If you stay in one of the hotels near the airport you then have to taxi in and out of the centre and leave your bags at the station while you are at the tower. It is just less hassle to be in the centre already.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Yes, the airport is just a few km from the centre, so the taxi in the evening won't be much more to go into the centre than it would to go to one of the hotels near the airport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

And this is why I love Trip Advisor!! Decision made.

We're going to go for Pisa and Florence so.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

The airport is right in town. There are buses, although not very frequent at that time of the night. The last bus 21 CEP-Torre-I Passi leaves at midnight and goes to the station. There are lots of taxis though.

Personally, I would choose a hotel in the center. Pisa is a very nice town, and I am sure you would enjoy that more than a large impersonal hotel in the outskirts.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Excellent choice. Enjoy!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

Hi dublinbride

The Ryanair flight usually gets in before 11.20 and the last bus is at 11.30 - Casinadirosa - I know you said the last one is at midnight and that is what we thought but according to our bus driver he was the last bus and he was in such a hurry to finish for the night (as he told us) he got off the bus and got our tickets from the vending machine for us as we were wasting valuable seconds trying to get our tickets : D. So Im not sure if the last one is 11.30 or 12?. But if you have handluggage only, you will probalby make the 11.30 one.

The bus stops at the train station and takes less than 10 minutes and costs €1. If you dont get out in time for the bus, as the other posters said, get a taxi, it will cost you very little.

If you are looking for accomodation, we stayed in the Hotel Cavalleri, just across from the train station and the bus stops directly outside the front door of the hotel - perfect for the late night arrival.

Florence is beautiful, but also recommend visiting Siena if you can enough time.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

That's funny. maybe it was just for that night, because we took the midnight bus only last week. The unpredictability of public transportation in Pisa is remarkable! ;o)

In any case, as you say, it's not difficult to get to the center. Even just walking it's a 20 minute walk, although not fun at midnight with luggage.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late arrival into Pisa - help needed

I reckon the bus driver was probably having a bad day and decided to call it a night early - he practically herded us on the bus and took off. He was parked less than 3 miutes :D

Very handy for us though - got to the hotel in record time!