We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I was told Pisa not worth it?!

D.C.
14 posts
Save Topic
I was told Pisa not worth it?!

Someone told me that Pisa is an unnattractive industrial city and that the central tourist area (leaning tower) is full of aggressive illegal immigrants trying to sell tourists tacky knock-off goods. It sounds unsavory, but at the same time, if I don't see the leaning tower this time around, I may never get back around to it. Basically, I'm looking to drive into town in my rental car, look at the tower, take photos, and then quickly run away (although the museum containing ancient Roman ships sounded interesting). Also, home base is Siena, so it looks like a long drive on the map. Anyone know drive time and can offer opinion about the feasibility of a ninja strike on the leaning tower? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

We loved the Field of Miracles. It was an outdoor break from crowded museums and Italian streets. Like you I felt that this might be my only chance to see the Leaning Tower.

The vendors are off to the side of the area. No one bothered us around the structures.

Most people do the Ninja strike and move on. We reserved the tower climb ahead of time and everyone is impressed that we 59 yr olds made the climb (it wasn't that hard).

We took a 1 hr train from Florence to Pisa, hit the tower and Doumo then caught a train to Siena about 1 hr and 45 min. Returning to Florence the same day by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
England
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

SaturdayGirl if you are planning to drive a hire car in Pisa then see my post Driving in Pisa - Traffic offense. We did just what you plan to do and as you will see from my post it could end up costing you a large fine. So do take care. I will have to pay the fine but I will do what I can to make sure they dont catch out others. Also see blogfromitaly.wordpress.com about 'speeding fines in Italy' especially Pisa. It is quite a serious problem.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

Hi Saturdaygirl, The main Piazza (where the leaning tower is) is a marvel of architecture. To be blunt - if you are interested in "ninja strikes" perhaps you should stick to Detroit!!. Italy is the land of relaxation and you can get 'photos' off the internet. If you do not take time to relax then Italy will not have much meaning for you. If you are just pressed for time there is a great cafe on the edge of the piazza where you can sit with a beverage and enjoy the view (and take photos!!). Ciao

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
301 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

I say it is worth it to drive in and "Ninja Strike" the field of miracles. Plan a small town lunch stop on the way, spend an hour or so at the field and boogie out. It is crowded, but memorable.

Drake

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

Whoever told you that about Pisa obviously did not take the time to look around and appreciate the city. Pisa is charming. Many people just visit the Campo and nothing else and get no idea what Pisa is really like. It is a real lived in tuscan city with a friendly attractive population, and a warm atmosphere. But I don't care, myself, whether other people go there or not. The less visitors, the more pleasure and peace there is for those that do spend time there.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Southport, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

We had a late flight out of Pisa and so spent the day there after parking at the airport. This might be a idea for you to avoid problems of driving in Pisa. the airport carpark was really cheap (5 euros for 5 hours) and is straight off the dual carriageway from Florence. the buses run very reguarly from the airport to the Field of Miracles (about 10-15 mins) and it is definatly worth a visit. All of the buildings are spectacular. It was a beautiful day when we went and I wished I had taken a picnic as the atmoshere - particulalry at the baptistry end - was so lovely and relaxed ans the view amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

irishrover is right. Pisa is a lovely town. I got lost walking to the train station and got the chance to have a stroll around the place.

I did Pisa with Luca on the same day. Only a 0.5-1.0 hr bus ride between the two. Luca is sooooo pretty. It's everything I imagine a medieval Tuscan town should be. (Being from Australia we don't have places like this!)

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Houston
Level Contributor
319 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

This might be a silly question, but I have never heard of the Field of Miracles. What is it?

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

Hi LauraTexan

The field of miracles or Campo dei Miracoli is the Piazza where the Leaning Tower,the Duomo,the Camposanto & The Baptistery are located.

Mentioned in this post
Camposanto
Camposanto
1,279 Reviews
Pisa, Italy
Baptistery
Baptistery
212 Reviews
Pistoia, Italy
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I was told Pisa not worth it?!

Thank you KCH for seconding my view of Pisa.

LauraTexan. The Field of Miracles, the Campo di Miracoli, is the area where the Duomo, Baptistery and Campanile (Leaning Tower) is located. It is so special because it is in a huge open area so there are no other buildings obstructing the view of their beauty.

It is a little tainted by the stalls selling all sorts of tat on the southern side, but if you stand with your back to them, or visit in the evening when they are closed up, you can still appreciate the splendour of the Campo

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Baptistery
Baptistery
212 Reviews
Pistoia, Italy
;