We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

We are travelling to Lucca this summer as we have always wanted to visit this region of Italy. I will be arriving by plane from Spain with 3 children and my husband from the UK by train.

We do not wish to hire a car.

Is there enough to do if we base ourselves in Lucca? Our children are 5, 10, 14, 15 & 16.

Slightly concerned that this is too long and we should maybe move on somewhere else? Would prefer not too as do not like the packing up and moving with the children in tow.

Thanks for any advice.

United States
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

As someone who spends a month at a time in Lucca, I always find things to do. There will music concerts at that time. The lineup hasn't been fully announced yet. You can check here: http://www.summer-festival.com/home?&lang=en

There are good transportation links for the beach in Viareggio and many other places for day trips, for instance Barga and Bagni di Lucca. You can use the Things To Do tab for other suggestions.

Edited: 12:10 pm, February 11, 2014
South East England...
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

We've spent July in Lucca for many years and like TAB still enjoy the city and it's surroundings. Our daughter, who's now in her early twenties, just can't get enough of Lucca, spending all/most of the time with us over the years whilst we're there, she has always found things to interest her.

Edited: 12:35 pm, February 11, 2014
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

I don't know about the children, we have never traveled in Italy with children, but as for the adults, you can certainly make a fine visit by staying in Lucca for the entire ten days. I would suggest one day, by train, to Florence, which should allow 8-10 hours in Florence; and maybe one morning , by bus, to Pisa, allowing two hours at the Field of Miracles, perhaps another bus trip to somewhere else in the neighborhood.

Lucca has many interesting churches, and three fine museums, but the museums are not at all what i would consider child-friendly, or child-appealing. You can also very well spend many good hours bicycling or walking around the walls, and the city botanical garden is nice - not fancy, but nice.

But I say that among the Italian towns we have visited, Lucca seems to be the most child-friendly. Families spend a great deal of time walking around and visiting the piazas. If you know even a little Italian you might have a wonderful family visit there. Many fine, reasonably priced restaurants in town.

Columbia Md.
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

This will be our first time in Italy . My wife & I are retired and we're trying

to decide whether to stay on Florence or Lucca for 4-5 days.We'll head for

Venice after our Tuscany experience.

We want to get a slice of Tuscany and Lucca sounds like we would enjoy

that slice.

What's your feeling regarding staying in lucca or Florence ?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

Definitely Lucca

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

hi: Lucca is a lovely, intimate town with wide tree-lined streets, large piazzas (one with carousel but not sure if working), music, bookstores, a gorgeous cathedral, towers to climb (certainly fine for your older children) and a most beautiful ramparts (wall around the entire city) for bicycling, strolling and people watching. It sort of is the opposite of Florence, which is a powerhouse and incredible Renaissance experience. I'm sure you will find plenty to do and as mentioned before, you can take a day-trip to Pisa or day-trip into Florence. If you haven't already done so, do read up in a good guide book about Lucca and the surrounds so you can make little plans outside the city.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

One of the MANY delightful aspects of choosing Lucca, if you are traveling with kids of varying ages, is (most especially if you are - highly recommended - staying within the walls) the ability to turn the kids loose. With, of course, older ones supervising younger ones if that is the family tradition. It's just memory-making to be 'set free' to stroll a block or two to buy gelato or sit in Piazza Napoleone and watch the Luchesse teen-agers interact. There are bike-renting agencies in various locations and most have tandem bikes and other fun choices. At passegiata time, and on weekend evenings, teenagers and younger kids are out in the street with each other and/or families and it's a cheerful, noisy and very local experience.....one your kids may remember with more enthusiasm than many of their "cultural" experiences. Climb the Guiningi Tower, the one with the trees growing on top: the views from the top are incredible and the climb is a great challenge for youngsters. I must admit, too, that my grandchildren (even the younger ones) look greatly forward to shoe shopping in Lucca.

Level Contributor
1,537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

10 days is too long in Lucca ,been there done it.

I would say 4 days maximum is adequate,children will love the shops, its an easy train ride to Pisa and the seaside Viareggio.

However the seaside in Italy is a great disappointment,all the beach is covered with sunbeds which are rather expensive and you will not get one anywhere near the sea .

The locals have kept their place at the beach for many years.

Frankly having been spoilt by Algarve beaches that part of Italy is a nightmare.

You do need a day at the beach in between site seeing, I understand the east coast is not quite as regimented.

If i were to do the trip again, I would have 3 nights in Lucca when the music festival is on, superb.

3-5 nights in Florence and finish off with a beach, not sure where though

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

i agree that 10 days is a long time in Lucca, if going by yourself or as a couple....but they have 5 kids to please, pack, un-pack, haul around, feed, entertain, etc. And children (especially young ones) like to become familiar with their environment...they will be much happier when they know what's around the corner......I'm sure the family will mix it up with day-trips and perhaps a stay somewhere else/rent a car for a day.....

10. Re: Ten days in Lucca in July/August - family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lucca