We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking in Lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Biking in Lucca

Hi everybody. As some of you know we'll be in Lucca soon for a day. So the plan is to settle down in Alla Dimora Lucense, visit Palazzo Pfanner nearby, snacks in da Felice and Giusti instead of a long lunch, followed by biking the walls. Am I gonna easily find bike rentals on the way to the wall or should I look for something specific?

Or perhaps we'll leave biking for later after seeing the rest of the sites as the churches may close (I may have just answered my own question). I thought about climbing the Guinigi Tower but now I wonder if I should climb a different tower (bell tower?) with a view of the Guinigi Tower and the trees instead.

Dinner at Osteria Baralla. Looking forward

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking in Lucca

Hi ziggy,

Here are a few suggestions of places to hire bikes: Cicli Rai in via san Nicolao which is just off via Santa Croce, Poli in Piazza Santa Maria, Chrono on Corso Garibaldi and also the tourist office on Piazza Giuseppe Verdi. They all charge about the same hourly rate. You can get a combined ticket to climb the Torre Guinigi and the Torre delle ore (clock tower) for 5 euros pp

mesh

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking in Lucca

There is a big big bike rental place in Piazza Santa Maria by the northernmost gate. You need to leave some ID with them. Good choice for dinner - one of my favourites. I haven't climbed the bell tower, but can really recommend the Torre Guinigi - interesting climb unique viewing point with some high altitude shade!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking in Lucca

Many thanks to you both. I found and marked all the bike locations.

Hopefully availability wont be thin after 16:00 for the 4 of us

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking in Lucca

You'll have no problem with bike hire availability in Lucca, though Poli is closest to where you are staying. I'll keep an eye out for you cycling the walls on 1st July, have a great time whilst there!!

mesh

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking in Lucca

Mesh, I'll be the one biking with a Cecina in one hand and a buccellato in the other. While wearing a helmet of course. Next to a super careful zigzagging wife and 2 daughters.

Here's a recent photo of my forehead (on the left)...

http://eatingwithziggy.com/

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking in Lucca

Right, "Clocked the Face" as they say, so now know who to look out for!!.

mesh

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking in Lucca

As you say that you are a family of four you may be interested in hiring a Quadricycle? There are two bike hire places that I know of that rent them out: a small hire shop just along from Poli in Piazza Santa Maria, another is located on Via Francesco Carrara just inside the walls at the Porta San Pietro entrance to the city.

mesh

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking in Lucca

Oh what a great suggestion. We'll definitely consider that.

Thanks Mesh.

Michigan
Level Contributor
33 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biking in Lucca

We spent a day in Lucca two weeks ago. Loved it! You didn't say how old your children are. ? I had my 10 and 14 yr old daughters along on our trip. We rented from Chrono which is near the main entrance. The young man (British or Australian perhaps) running the place was very pleasant to work with and he made sure my 10 yr old had a bike with pink flowers and a basket since she hasn't outgrown that girly stuff yet.

The rest of us rented multi-speed adult bikes that were in great shape and also had baskets optional. We took the bikes when we climbed Guinigi tower, ate lunch, etc.

I would not rent a quad for anything other than the perimeter. Biking the narrow alleys/side streets in town requires manuverability that would be challenging in anything wide. My vote would be to get the single bikes and just bring them with you all day. Kids enjoy bikes more than walking so it gets them involved and happy. Also we were glad we did the Guinigi tower climb but we didn't climb any other towers so it's hard to say if another choice would have been better.

Have a great time.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biking in Lucca

No way would I suggest renting a quadricycle to ride through the streets of Lucca, just looks good fun riding around the walls on one!

mesh

Get answers to your questions about Lucca