We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or bus with young children

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train or bus with young children

we are visiting Lucca in May, (3 adult and 2 children,age 7 and 2), just wondering is it easier to get the bus or the train from Pisa airport to Lucca, we will have at least 2 large suitcases.,and with young children is it better to book a transport instead?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or bus with young children

I prefer the train with young children because they can move about a bit and because one of my daughters would get car sick on the bus, but not the train. However, if you get the bus you can just load your bags into the hold and get on the bus whereas with the train you will need to change at Pisa Centrale and so that involves more lugging the bags about. I really don't think you need to book a private transfer.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or bus with young children

Another consideration for taking the bus is that it terminates at the bus station inside the walls of Lucca so there's no rush/panic with the children to get off and retrieve your luggage from the side hold of the bus.

mesh

Edited: 7:26 am, March 04, 2013
Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train or bus with young children

Though we couldn't agree more with what's posted above, we'd say hire a car and make it very, very easy on yourself.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train or bus with young children

We're talking 60 euros plus for private transport compared to 3 euro pp for the bus journey.

mesh

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train or bus with young children

Thank you all for replying, the only worry I have with the bus is if it's crowded and the kids won't have seats. I am afraid I am not a confident enough driver to hire a car and drive in a foreign country,

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,703 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train or bus with young children

We always use the bus service to the airport, to/from lucca, for our daughters arrival/departure and as the bus (air conditioned and more of a coach than a bus) route to Lucca begins at Pisa airport we are often the only passengers at the start of the journey. We have never seen the bus completely full on either leg of the journey and we use the service in July which is considered high season.

mesh

Edited: 11:52 am, March 04, 2013
london
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train or bus with young children

Thank you Mesh, I nearly book private transfer but thought I will ask for advise first, I am so glad I did, thank you all again for answering my question.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train or bus with young children

You're most welcome, Fanmali. Since you normally book a private transfer, why not continue to do so? Yes, the difference of about 48 euro is not insignificant ... but think of the ease.

(We like ease.)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train or bus with young children

We bus it from Pisa to Lucca with the grandkids. Bus very comfortable. Route scenic and pleasant. Bus seldom totally full. Having plenty of time at Lucca to claim your big bags and get organized - as opposed to schlepping off the train and then negotiating the underground tunnel (and steps!) to get to the street side of the Lucca train station - is very nice.

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train or bus with young children

My husband and I normally travel on public transport when we are on holiday,I only book private transfer when I am traveling with children, but this time I think we could take the bus with ease, and spend the money we save on the lovely food on offer in Lucca, Thank you for all the information, I really appreciated. .