We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Will be in Lucca area for 7 days. Not sure whether to rent apt/house inside Lucca or more secluded location outside Lucca. We are a couple 62/70 and have car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

I always prefer to stay in a town. It is nice to be able to linger over an evening meal in a restaurant, having some wine, and not have to drive back to my accommodation.

United States
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

You car will provide a small issue if your accommodation doesn't provide a space. The center of Lucca is restricted to residents but there are several pay lots. I like the one at Mazzini which is just inside Porta Elisa. If you will be there more than 3 days it is more cost effective to buy a month pass for €50.

TAB

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

We always stay inside the walls. Personally I think it is a special experience. Also for many years now, whichever area within the walls we rent in, we have used the underground carpark Mazzini and buy the monthly pass (abbonamento) as mentiond by TAB. To get to the carpark enter through Porta Elisa, take the first turning immediately on the right (tourist info office on the corner) and it's about 300 meters on the left hand side. When you leave the car park turn left, follow the road until the first Piazza (Luigi Varanini) again about 300 meters, and turn right through Porta San Jacopo to join the Lucca ring road. Very straightforward. Be aware of the need to observe the directions to/from Park Mazzini so as to avoid fines from the ZTL cameras. On Wednesday and Saturday mornings when the outdoor market is being held in the road to the carpark diversions are in put in place, these are easy to follow and take you out of the centre through Porta Elisa. Normal daily parking charges from 08.00 hrs to 20.00 hrs are 1 euro per hour except on Wednesday and Saturday when the charge is 0.50 euro per hour during the hours of 08.00 to 13.00 because of the outdoor market being held in the road to the carpark. A flat fee of 1 euro for parking at night from 20.00 hrs to 08.00hrs applies, there is a maximum payment of 10 euros per day. You buy the 50 euro pass from the office in the Carpark Carducci on the ring-road outside the walls, the form you need to fill out is in Italian, you just have to give the address you are staying at and the car details. The office is open weekdays from 08.00 to 16.00 and Saturdays from 08.00 a.m. to 12.00 hours.

mesh

United States
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Mesh,

The office for passes has moved. The new address is Via Delle Citta Gemelle, 162 which is further out from the walls in the Santa Anna area.

TAB

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

TAB,

Many thanks for the new address, obviously moved since we were last there in July. I know where it's now located, just up from the Pam supermarket, well away from Carducci!

mesh

San Francisco
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Thank you. Since we have a car I think we may stay outside, but very close. Within a few miles. Can't wait for our trip.!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Reconsider and stay inside the walls at a hotel offering parking - The feeling is very different, and if you were to stay outside town, you would still deal with parking issues on visits to town.

Vagabonda

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Only been there once, but really would say stay inside every time. Great town nd very special to be in there. You can park as suggested and still access the car for trips. But also consider using buses for trips too. Avoid the driving madness . We found public transport excellent.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

Decided to stay inside for two nights and then outside in an apt for 7 days

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in town of Lucca or outside

I'm sure you will enjoy the ambience whilst staying within the walls and also your stay outside the city.

mesh

Get answers to your questions about Lucca