We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca neighborhoods

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lucca neighborhoods

I am looking to rent an apartment in Lucca for 2 weeks next summer. I am trying to decide which area of the center I would like to be. I understand that the city is not that large, but is there a particular area that is best to be in? Looking for something that would be comfortable for a 2 weeks stay--maybe not in the middle of the crowds. Is it a long distance to stay at the Piazza S. Maria side and try to get to the train? Because of the Summer Festival, will the area around Porta S. Pietro be loud and busy? Any advice or experience staying inside the city is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca neighborhoods

Everything within in the walls of Lucca is less than a 20 minute walk to the train station. With luggage I still like to take a taxi on arrival no matter where I stay. The concerts take place in Piazza Napoleone and I wouldn't stay there because of the noise of the concerts and the scaffolding and bleachers obstruct the views of the apartments are the piazza. The concert noise is surprisingly confined to the immediate area and just a few streets away you can't hear it.

During last summer, I stayed in a very nice apartment on the corner of Via Mondini and Via delle Chiavi d'Or. It was a main passway for people traveling between the anfiteatro and the Torre Guinigi but it wasn't noisy at night. I really haven't found an area that didn't have its pluses and minuses. I stayed for a month on Via del Fosso and that had nice little markets and a great restaurant nearby.

The one area I wouldn't stay in again in warm months is the anfiteatro. some of the restaurants are open late and the noise bounces around the walls and intensifies. One place had a steady crowd of late night drinkers that would play music and yell until 2 am every night.

TAB

Edited: 8:14 pm, August 12, 2012
South East England...
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca neighborhoods

Hi dcgCalifornia,

We've stayed in the area of Porta San Pietro in July whilst the Summer Festival is on for the last two years and it can get very busy and loud at night when the concerts are on, plus you can hear the acts practising in the afternoon of the performance, but we don't mind this. We have stayed in and around the Via Guinigi also in July a number of times and it is a much quieter area. Agree with TAB about the Anfiteatro, on Thursday evenings in July the shops along Via Fillungo, which runs alongside the Anfiteatro, are open to gone midnight and it gets very crowded.

mesh

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca neighborhoods

The area close to the city gardens is quiet and pleasant.

Edited: 1:30 pm, August 13, 2012
4. Re: Lucca neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lucca