We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Lucca by Bus

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Lucca by Bus

Will be arriving in Florence train station at about 6pm on a Saturday. Should we have much of a wait to get a Lazzi bus to Lucca. We are trying to arrive before dark as we then need to make our way to hotel. Thanks, I know i can find this on Lazzi schedule but can't navigate Italian site.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Why not just continue by train?

United States
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

There's one at 6:15 which would be a push to get to and one at 7:15.

Trains to Lucca leave at 6:10 and 6:38. The latter would be more reasonable if you didn't already have a ticket. If you bought your ticket from wherever you start through to Lucca you might have a chance of making the 6:10 connection.

TAB

Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

We thought bus might be easier and get us closer to our hotel, which is within the walls. Can you buy tickets ahead of time? We might do that; just to be safe. I'm not opposed to a private car either; any thoughts there?

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
411 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

You need to check the Lucca map, just because the bus station is within the walls doesn't automatically make it closer to all accommodation.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Absent traffic jams and inclement weather, taking the LAZZI bus from Florence to Lucca is faster and more comfortable than the train (bus has reclining seats)

The bus makes two stops in Lucca: at the train station and at the bus depot, which is just outside the walls on the western edge of the old town (Piazzale Verdi). Most old town hotels are within walking distance of one of these stops.

If the bus schedules are not convenient, just take the Trenitalia unreserved regionale train to Lucca.

If your train arrives in Florence on time, you'll make the 6:15 bus to Lucca. You cannot purchase tickets in advance. Buy them at the ticket office in front of the bus stop in Piazza Adua (adjacent to the SMN train station, exiting on the side of McDonalds's and the Pharmacy).

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Here are the bus schedules between Florence and Lucca (see table 1):

www.vaibus.com/pdf/libretto_Extraurbano.pdf

Note that the LAST buses of the day (Florence to Lucca) are at 18:15 and 19:15. After that, there are only Trenitalia trains to Lucca.

NOTE also that there are no Sunday buses from Florence to Lucca!!!

When you exit the SMN train station (on the side of McDonald's and the Pharmacy), look to your LEFT and you'll see a number of blue buses parked perpendicular to the street curb. That is Piazza Adua, where Lazzi has a ticket office and terminus of its bus routes out of Florence.

It takes about two minutes to walk from the SMN train station (Pharmacy) to Piazza Adua bus depot.

Edited: 12:11 pm, April 28, 2012
Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Thank you - very helpful and were the answers we were looking for.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Further to GAC's comments. The bus stop at the Lucca train station is OUTSIDE THE WALLS. The bus stop at Piazzale Verdi is INSIDE THE WALLS, though just. Unless you are burdened with a great deal of luggage, the walk from either is easy, but there is validity to checking the map to locate your hotel and it's proximity to train station or bus station. There are almost always taxis at the train station and it'd be a reasonable ride from the train station to your hotel, if you'd need that option. There are taxi stands at the bus station, but frequently there are no taxis.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

That's right, the bus depot in Piazzale Verdi is just inside the walls of Lucca on the western edge of town! My memory was faulty, and I was off base by about 100 meters!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
967 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence to Lucca by Bus

Depending on where your hotel is, the train station can be just as close as the bus depot even though outside the walls. I can walk from the train station to P. San Michele in 15 - 20 minutes and I'm not a fast walker and am 50+. If you have heavy luggage then it is easier to get a taxi from the train station than the bus depot and not very expensive to get to central Lucca by taxi.

Get answers to your questions about Lucca