We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Lucca

Which Lucca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai India
5 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips from Lucca

Hi,

Myself and my family will stay in Lucca for a week in May.

Can anyone suggest interesting day trips from Lucca.

Siena is something which is already on our mind.

Thanx.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

You can easily see San Giminagno and Florence from Lucca in addition to Siena.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

Around Lucca there are several Villas that can be visited, some with beautiful gardens. Viareggio is a beach resort town, and about 30 minutes by train. Pisa is also a short train ride away.

If you have a car, you could drive to either of these places and also explore the Garfagnana area, wilder with many beautiful

small towns.

Another option is renting bicycles andexploring the area around Lucca.

Barga Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

Hi

I suggest you visit Barga, about 40mins North of Lucca, in the Garfagnana valley. The scenery is beautiful and Barga is a gem, full of interesting churches and palazzi. The 10th Century Duomo (cathedral) is worth a visit.

There are excellent restaurants in and around the town.

If you can stay overnight go to www.casa-fontana.com for accommodation.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

How about Pisa? I think you can get there by train. It would be nice to see the leaning tower!

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

A must see place "Cinque Terre" Five villages with breath taking views. You can get there by boat or train. Pleae read about it, in one of the travel books before you go.

6. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:57 am, May 04, 2005
respbill
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

We spent a week in Lucca and we took the train to the Cinque Terra (train connects in La Speczia) a train to Florence (get prebooked tour if you are doing the Uffizi) got lost in Tuscany which turned out to be the most fun as we stopped in Rada for lunch and stopped at any place that had a "Vino" sign and sampled the wine. Trying to speak with Italians who spoke no English was fun. Finally did arrive at our destination that day which was San Giamananni for dinner. We also went up to the town where all the marple comes from and went to Pisa but getting there took longer than our stay (I guess we were spoiled by Lucca)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Lucca

Plan at least two days in Lucca and then....

Florence - I prefer bus to train (bus station within the walls in Lucca and bus station in Florence just next to train station....bus faster, pleasant ride.)

Pisa - again, I prefer bus. After you do the obvious in Pisa (and don't miss the Campo Santo that is part of the Tower/Duomo complex) stroll to the Piazza Cavalleri and then ask for directions to Frederico Salza (have lunch there and bask in the caloric glow of the most exquisite goodies in Italy.)

Volterra - town where all the alabaster is mined and carved. A lovely town and visiting the alabaster studios is fascinating. The Etruscan museum there is grand, too.

San Gimingnano - stroll, shop, look up at all the towers, then go to Bel Sogiorno for lunch (in the hotel of the same name)....legendary food, good local wine - Vernaccia - and killer view. This is not an inexpensive lunch, but you'll remember forever.

You'll probably then want to return to Florence for a day.

Before leaving Lucca, go to Esse Lunga the big supermarket. We always spend two hours there the last day in town. Great prices on wine, oil, other gift-type goodies. We even buy wonderful children's books there (pop-ups in Italian to take home to the grandkids)