We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation help for a newbie

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transportation help for a newbie

I confess I've done more Rome research than Florence research. I'd welcome any help. We're taking the train from Rome to Florence next week & staying at the Grand Hotel. Is it easy to get from the train station to the hotel? Better to cab or can we walk?

We'll have 3 children (10/14/18) with us, presumably getting tired of being hauled around, even in some of the world's most beautiful countryside. Also, I'm guessing that the hotel can arrange transport to the airport...any idea about how much it should run? We are newbies at this & I want to have some sort of a clue.

Thanks in advance!

San Diego
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation help for a newbie

If you type "Grand Hotel, florence" in the search box and hit go, it will display 10 entries. What is the address of the one you're staying at? Have you tried the hotel website? They usually have 'how to reach us' or 'arrival' pages with that information.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation help for a newbie

I'd cab it to the hotel. Although it's not a huge distance, you won't want to haul your luggage with you walking on busy streets to get to the hotel. Plus it'll be a short, cheap cab ride to the hotel: nothing compared to the nightly rate that I know you are paying to stay at the Grand.

The hotel can arrange transport to the airport, but I wouldn't recommend it. Usually the private car transfer is a set rate that will often run twice the cost of a standard cab fare to the airport. You can certainly ask the hotel what their rate for this transport would be in order to make your decision. I would simply have the hotel call a cab for you the morning that you are departing instead. It's just as good a way to get there, and you'll save some money. Not to mention the fact that the "private transport" often ends up just being a cab anyways that has been arranged well in advance.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation help for a newbie

Thanks for this info. BTW, we're staying at the Grand on credit card points...That's why I'm not hip to all the details of a "fine" hotel. :)