We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Florence

Encinitas...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Florence

Hi, I will be visiting my daughter who is studying in Florence for a year the beginning of October. My friend and I would also like to do a couple of side trips from Florence. We are thinking Cinque Terre, Siena and Assissi. We only have 11 days and want to be able to enjoy Florence and not cut it short. What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Denise

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Florence

Siena is a wonderful day trip and done easily as a day trip by bus from Florence; it takes about an hour each way and can be done any time you have a pleasant day. The Cathedral in Siena is a must see -- my favorite town in Italy.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,727 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Florence

With 11 days, you should be able to do multiple day trips. Besides Siena (highly recommended), you can combine a trip of Pisa and Lucca.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Florence

Cinque Terre is also easy to do from Florence, but try to get in at least one night there. Don't forget that in Florence you're surrounded by Tuscany; rolling hills, hillside villages and wineries everywhere you look. Try to allocate a couple of days to see some of it.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Florence

Assisi is not that near Florence but doable as a day trip, I went there earlier this year, it meant quite a time sitting on a train, but I thought that it was worth it. I had been wanting to return there for ages.

Siena and Pisa/Lucca are easy day trips by public transport. The Cinque Terre would take a bit longer, I've only ever been by car - and that was a long time ago. The little hilltop town of Fiesole is only a twenty minute bus ride away and I think that it's definitely worth visiting.

Early October, in my experience, anyway, is a beautiful time to visit Florence.

5. Re: Trip to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 06, 2015