We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence traffic fine

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Florence traffic fine

Any advice on the following would be much appreciated:

In July 2013 I travelled to Florence, Italy and hired a car. I drove through a lane restricted for buses. The second I drove over the "line" an Italian called out to me and signalled that I had gone through a "restricted zone". Straight away, I turned around and left. So I had crossed the "restricted zone" by about a metre. In any case, this was enough to get a fine.

I have now received the fine from the Florence police and they have fined me TWICE for this one offence. The two fines, sent separately, have different fine numbers but refer to the same offence at the same time at the same second!

Can anyone shed light as to why I've received TWO FINES for 123,51 euro? I thought it might have been one fine for entering and another for exiting, but then the times wouldn't be the same down to the same second.

I've thought about appealing it but if my appeal is unsuccessful, then the fine doubles!

Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
ohio
Level Contributor
562 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence traffic fine

Unfortunately, you might as well pay it. Dealing with the government anywhere is the same. You would think they could look at the tickets and fine you for one violation. But if paying these fines is going to bother you for the rest of your life, fight it.

Turin
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence traffic fine

I may be wrong, but you should be able to check your photos here: https://ztl.comune.fi.it/tzv/

If the pic is the same and the fines are for the same minute and exact second, they made a mistake and you should appeal. Can you read and fill out a simple italian form? http://goo.gl/woZq3L

Ps: Of course there is no fine for exiting a ZTL.

Edited: 5:31 pm, April 23, 2014
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence traffic fine

Is one from the rental company and one from the police? Generally this is how you receive the fines. The amount from the rental car company is a service charge for them to have provided the police with your information. The other, from the police is the actual fine. You will need to pay both if this is the case. If not, then follow the instructions provided by NapOrso for appealing it.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence traffic fine

Thank you, that would have been really useful! Unfortunately the fine isn't a ZTL fine though, the fines for the public transport lanes are enforced by the police municipality, not the ZTL authority.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence traffic fine

I thought they were both enforced by the police? I might be wrong about that. You should nevertheless login and check the photos. bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.h…

6. Re: Florence traffic fine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:54 am, July 29, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,034 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence traffic fine

This thread has been dead since April. Why did you dig it up?

8. Re: Florence traffic fine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 31, 2015