We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access for US Verizon phone

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Internet access for US Verizon phone

Does anyone have a recommendation for internet access for a US Verizon phone while visiting Florence. The typical free WiFi in cafes does not serve my Google map purposes very well.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,692 reviews
from $112.20*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,311 reviews
from $122.10*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from $99.70*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,502 reviews
from $110.90*
$117.10
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

If your phone was unlocked then you could use an Italian Sim card while in Italy. You can also purchase a plan from Verizon for $25/100mb. However, google maps use a lot of data so this would get expensive.

What most of us are doing now for maps is using apps such as City maps 2GO. These maps can be downloaded prior to arrival on your wifi then used without data roaming for free. These apps work off the phone's GPS.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

What a coincidence...just got the Verizon $25 quote a few hours ago. Thanks for the City2GO idea ...will do that. Can I do the "pins" before we leave?

Can you be precise as to what I turn off or leave on ..Android Mini? Thanks Dave

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Dave, I have an iPhone so I can't be of much help with the Android. With the iPhone 5,s.c then you can preload the maps then and keep the phone in airplane mode. However, with the iphone4,s then the airplane mode shouldn't be turned on since it deactivates the GPS. If the 4's airplane mode is not activated then be sure that the data roaming is deactivated so that the phone is not roaming.

I know that this doesn't help with the Android, but it can probably be googled for the answer.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Again thanks for City2GO

1f9mom
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

I have just been dealing with getting my iPhone 4S for our upcoming trip to Italy! Purchase the $25 International upgrade & just make sure you phone settings are set on "cellular off" & use wifi connections to connect from from wherever you are (hotel, restaurant) & then you will be sure to not come home with a huge bill!

Thanks for the tip on the City2Go Ap! Installing it now! :)

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Ricardo ...you da man ...incredibly helpful map...just love it...I have been "pinning" some sights

1f9mom
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Question???(which may seem really silly) BUT…but after we get the city2go AP do we need to then download the maps of each city we will be visiting i.e.. Venice, Florence, Rome…BEFORE we visit?

This probably is a stupid question, but I am kind of technically challenged & learning!

Thank You,

Ann

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Thanks Fels for the compliment and happy to hear that you like the app. It has worked great for me.

Also, purchasing like you did, the $25 Verizon add on for data is an excellent idea, since many people are unfamiliar with data charges overseas. If the data roaming is not switched off then the smartphone will roam at very expensive rates without the owner being aware. The charges will show up after they get home. However, the Verizon/ATT data add on is like an insurance policy since the phone will charge data at the lower rate thus eliminating the surprise bill at home.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Yes, you want to download the map prior to arriving in the city with your free WiFi. This of course can be done in the city with any free WiFi. When finished in that city then delete the map so that it doesn't take up room on your smartphone.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet access for US Verizon phone

Ann we downloaded the Florence map this morning.. I would do this so you can orient yourself while you have time .. Then find on the map or thru the search function , some highlight you want to see...hit the white box on the map and a dialogue will come up..hit "pin" and lo and behold a marker will appear on your map.

BTW I tested the map with WIFI and Mobile data turned off and it's perfect