We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a day and half in Florence

Mumbai
Level Contributor
22 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Just a day and half in Florence

I have One full day ( unfortunately a Monday) and Tuesday till 12 noon in Florence. I just read that the Uffizi gallery and the Academy are both closed on Monday. How do i Best utilize my time in Florence?

Should i go for a Pisa tour on my own and use the rest of the day to see some local sights (pl suggest)?

Or go for an organised tour of pisa, Siena, vineyards with lunch which will take the whole day?

Can i manage to see the Academy and Uffizi gallery on Tues between 8 and 12?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a day and half in Florence

You have to ask yourself whether you really want to see all these pictures and don't, please, be concerned if you would prefer to do something else. The Uffizi will take up at least 2 hrs of your time, realistically 3 hrs, even if you rush round the rooms. Accademia requires less time but you won't really be able to manage both in 4 hrs. You probably want to see the leaning tower so make that trip to Pisa with the vineyard lunch and later just stroll around the Florence streets, which are in themselves one great big open air art gallery. Then just hang out doing what you want to do - window shop, enjoy an ice cream, people watch, take in the cathedral from the outside (which is arguably more interesting than in). It's going to be very interesting / exciting even if you don't step inside a single gallery.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a day and half in Florence

There's way more to Florence than the Uffizi and Accademia. To the right is a link for museums, the wonderful Bargello is open the 1st, 3rd & 5th Mondays (check the hours).

Unless there are specific reasons to spend your limited time in the Uffizi, I would just walk and enjoy the sites, Piazzas, markets & food. Piazza della Signoria is always one of my 'must go to', take in the atmosphere. This is the Piazza featured in Bonfire of the Vanities.

Florence is quite compact and walkable, look to the right for - FAQ, One day in Florence.

Everyone has their own priorities, if I only had your short amount of time I would prebook my Accademia ticket for 9 a.m. on Tuesday to marvel at the Michelangelo's David. The link is to the right for the official site to book.

Pisa is about 1h15m from Firenze S.M. Novella to Pisa Centrale, then the Tower is about a 20 minute walk (10 min bus). www.trenitalia.com for schedules, click the UK flag to the right. You can't purchase ahead, it's a regional train, don't forget to validate your ticket in the little machine.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
22 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a day and half in Florence

I did.nt expect my dilemma to be solved so soon. I will do Pisa on Mon morn and then walk around the sites in florence the rest of the day with the help of "One day in Florence" FAQ. I will see David on Tues Morn.

Thanks to both of you,lastraniera and ocpony. Appreciate it.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a day and half in Florence

Here's a link for the Tower, etc.:

www.opapisa.it

Have a wonderful visit.

5. Re: Just a day and half in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, March 17, 2015