We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best home base trip to Italy

Roseburg, Oregon
11 posts
Save Topic
Best home base trip to Italy

We are traveling to Italy in June and was wondering if you can help us with our itinerary:

JUNE 11-JUNE 20: EXPLORE ITALY

- ROME 5 DAY

- FLORENCE/PISA: 1 DAY

- MILAN: 2 DAYS

-VENICE: 2 DAYS

I already booked an apartment for our trip to Rome, but apart from that I haven't made any accommodations for the other places. Where do you think should be our home base for the remaining cities that we need to visit? We have a toddler with us so as much as possible we don't want to transfer hotels/apartments. Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava, London
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

Too many places to see in only 10 days (1 day for Florence/Pisa doesn't make much sense). About your questions: you can't have a base "for the remaining cities". They can't be day trips.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

Florence is 1 1/2 hours by the fastest trains from Rome; and Pisa, 1h10 from Florence.

If you are looking for a central point from which to visit Florence, Milan AND Venice, just looking at the rail map (railplus.com.au/europe-by-rail/…map.htm) shows that the only possible candidate is Bologna (about 2 hrs from Rome). From here - once you have arrived at the station from wherever you would be staying - it is 35 mins to Florence, 1h40 to Milan and 1h25 to Venice - but +/- 2 hrs to Pisa! And in any case, I would not recommend trying to "do" Florence and Pisa in 1 day from anywhere, including one of those 2 cities.

But do you really mean you want to do day trips on 2 consecutive days from a base city to Milan and the same to Venice? In my opinion this is much more exhausting than actually moving bases.

Edited: 5:54 am, March 08, 2014
Kernersville, NC
Level Contributor
271 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

Personally, I'd take the two days you're devoting to Milan and add them to your stay in Florence. While there are definitely some things about Milan worth seeing, you're really shortchanging yourself not to spend more time in Florence. I'd suggest staying just outside Florence where you can catch a bus and be in town in 30 minutes or so - somewhere like Impruneta or Bagno a Ripoli. Less expensive, and good places to relax after a busy day in town. Then you can take the train to Venice for your last two days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

I think that you need to re-title.

This is not exploring Italy.

This is exploring Italian cities.

And I really don't get what you are saying about another "base."

I think that you are completely short-changing yourself if you don't spend anytime in the Italian countryside.

Would you recommend to someone visiting the PNW to only visit Portland and Seattle and completely ignore the glorious Oregon Coast?

If you are intent on sticking to cities....drop one day from Milan and add it to FLorence.

Drop Pisa completely.

Ideally drop one day from Rome.

Drop Pisa.

Spend a day or 2 in the Tuscan countryside.

Drop one MIlan day and add it to Florence.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
10,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

hi: since you have stated 10 days in cities, i will presume your airplane arrival and departure are #11, and #12. So....ten days and you wish to go to five places. Firstly, you need to allott for travel time.... ADD in 1/2 day of transport from point A to point B to each place, especially on long hauls...even if a schedule says it only takes 2 hrs to get someplace, you have to have breakfast and get to the station and possibly transfer to another train and take a bus into the city center and walk to your hotel (maybe get lost) and climb 3 flights of stairs and flop into your bed for a breather .....so, usually it takes 1/2 day when going from one major city to another.

You have no time in Florence and included going to Pisa in the same day.....please, drop Pisa and ADD a day in Florence (so you have 2 full days). I would only attempt Venice, Florence and Rome for this trip...if you have extra time (remember you have to travel to each place) you can add a day-trip to Siena from Florence (that would make 3 days/4 nights for Florence). If you have a guide book, you will be able to read up on these places and make a little list of what you'd like to see and do....that will also help with your timeline as well.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

June 11th and 20th are out of the loop, since these are the arrival and departure days. So, you have eight days. I assume that you will be departing home from Venice and do not need to backtrack, yes? You have three days left after your stay in Rome. If this was my holiday, and if I could not add another four-five days to this trip, I would spend one or none in Florence, none in Milan, and the remains in Venice. But, this is not my holiday :)

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

Are you driving or using the train?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

Nobody in their right mind is going to do the OP's itinerary in a car.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

I tried to tell Hubby that on the last trip. He found out. That's why we're going back-with no car.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best home base trip to Italy

If you are doing the OP's itinerary of all cities having a car is crazy.

If you actually want to see Italy....you need a car.