We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on Florence Itinerary

Denver
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on Florence Itinerary

We are planning an anniversary trip to Italy this March. I've put together a pretty detailed itinerary, and was hoping to get some feedback. Dates are set. Hotels are booked. Train tickets are purchased.

We will be coming via train from Venice on March 15th (Saturday), arriving at 3pm. Taking taxi to Palazzo Magnani Feroni. Considering just hanging out or possibly going over to Piazza Michelangelo.

March 16th - Accademia, Renaissance walk via Rick Steeves audiotour (Duomo, Baptistery, Via de' Calzaiuoli, Orsanmichele Church, Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio, and Ufizzi). Consider going inside of Palazzo Veccio or Ufizzi. May need to reorganize or do tour backwards - Duomo opens at noon on Sundays.

March 17th (Monday)- booked a tour through the hotel to Sienna, San G., Pisa, w/ wine tasting lunch.

March 18th - Bargello, Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, and Ufizzi or Palazzo Veccio if we didn't have time on Sunday.

March 19th - Train to Rome at 9am.

Am I missing anything? Is this too much? Anything that you could recommend? Any ideas for lunches or dinners?

We will be taking our day trip on St. Patrick's Day - is there anything we need to know about this holiday in Italy? (Or is it even celebrated like it is here in the US?)

Thanks!

Teri

Tuscan Wine Tours by Grape Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Under The Tuscan Sun Tours
Day Trips, Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours
Tour in Florence
Walking Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Italy on a Budget Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

Boboli Gardens are not really worth it on such a short trip. I am an art lover and if it were me, I would also skip the Uffizi. Hanging out is so much fun in Italy! Don't over due museums, especially if you are headed to Rome to do all the sites there... Go to the Mercado Central, it was my favorite market! I also loved the duomo museum and that might be more manageable because of its small size.

Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

I also would skip Boboli Gardens. Even in the summertime, I found it extremely disappointing. I would imagine March would be even less enjoyable. A few places I absolutely love are Museo San Marco and Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine. Both of these are somewhat less crowded and full of significant art history. Very inexpensive audio tour of Brancacci Chapel is wonderful. I also loved the Mercato Centrale, as many others have mentioned. I would add one more thing to consider. I did a 3 hour food tour with Florence For Foodies (www.florenceforfoodies.com) which was so much fun, informative, funny and filling! I did this tour the first morning in Florence and it gave us a great background on the local food. Have a wonderful rip!

13. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:54 am, February 10, 2014
Denver
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

Thanks for your advice! I've reorganized our itinerary as follows. Plus, we will have a Firenze card, so I don't think we need reservations to get into several of the sights.

March 15th (Saturday) - arrive mid-afternoon. Hotel is south of Arno. Go to Piazzale Michelangelo, San Miniato Church, and Piazza Santa Spirito for dinner. Considering Brancacci Chapel if we get to hotel by 4pm (it's open until 5pm).

March 16th - Accademia, Duomo Museum, Campanile, Baptistery, Santa Croce, and Uffizi (if we have the energy)

March 17th - Trip to Sienna and San G.

March 18th - Mercado Central Market, San Lorenzo Market, Santa Maria Novella, Bargello, and Palazzo Vecchio (if we have the energy).

Removed Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens.

March 19th - off to Rome

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

Hi TJ!

>>>Am I missing anything?

You have gotten tons of good advice here, and you WILL have a wonderful time. As for missing anything, the one thing I don't see in your itinerary is time to just explore, have fun, be open to whatever presents itself. For me (and for lots of visitors), just wandering Venice without a fixed telos is enormously fun!

Be open to what catches your eye and imagination. Be spontaneous! Enjoy!

-Karl

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
216 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

We also head to Florence in a couple of months and were thinking of doing the Sienna, San G, Pisa day trip one day during our 7 in Florence, but have reconsidered and will choose one of the three cities to visit.

Friends of ours were in Florence in September and did the Sienna, San G, Pisa day trip booked through their hotel and they said it was the 'mistake' of their 2 week trip. They, like us, always seem to try to load up our itenerary to see all we can possibly see. Their advise was that they felt they spent their day on the road with so little time in each town that they felt cheated.

17. Re: Need help on Florence Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 19, 2015