We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Tuscany

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Tuscany

Hello,

In month of June, we (2 adults and 2 kids - 6yr and 8r) will be arriving in Florence via train from Rome. I intend to rent a car in Florence and then return it in Rome. We will be spending 7 nights in Tuscany before heading back to Rome. We will be staying for 4 nights in an agriturismo in Mercatale Val di Pesa and 3 nights in another near Pienza. My current thinking is to pick the rental car in Florence, drive to our first base; visit nearby attractions by road. Then head to next base near Pienza; visit nearby attractions by road. Then finally drive down to Rome and return the car over there. I haven't booked any hotel in Rome yet. This is our first ever visit to Italy. We are coming from San Francisco, USA.

- Which location in Florence should I rent car from? Airport or near train station? If not near the train station then I should be catching taxi/train/bus to the location from where I can pick up the car?

- Should I reserve the car now or it will be too early/late?

- Which location in Rome should I return the car? Any preferred location?

Thanks.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
362 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving in Tuscany

Take the train to Chiusi and rent the car there and return it there. Easy in and out and the drive from there avoids the A1. After a long flight and jet lag you really don't need to get on the A 1. Trains from Termini are faster than driving. For sure, you don't want to drive into Florence. Watch for ZTLs in the small towns as well as the cities.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,852 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving in Tuscany

Can you drive a manual? That is the what the majority of rental cars are in Italy - and, if not, people have a better chance of getting an automatic if renting from larger rental car sites (i.e., airports) -

Not sure if someone else mentioned this already - but, you need an International Driver's Permit (each driver needs it) - it is legally required in Italy together with your regular driver's license; you get them at AAA offices.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving in Tuscany

Yes, I would like to have automatic transmission car. That's the reason I am thinking of renting from Florence airport - high likelihood of getting automatic at Florence airport than any other smaller places.

14. Re: Driving in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2015