We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Hi,

I'm trying to book 3 persons (myself, my husband and adult daughter) in sleepers for the night train from Florence to Vienna.

When I try to book it on Rail Italia(the easiest sight, I have heard) it gives me the SmartFare option of chosing an Economy Triple (T3) Sleeper for $294 total, but when i go to book it, it says it is not available. (Other sleeping arrangement options are shown as sold out but not this one?). It does give me the Standard (more expensive) option for a T3 sleeper at $550!

When I try to book it on Trenitalia it shows me that there is the option to chose "Cabina a 3 - Intera" - the only option I see for three people and what I assume is the same as the Economy Triple T3 Sleeper listed above - charging $530 (129 Euros)/pp.

When I try to book it on OBB, it only gives me the option of chosing a 4-bed couchette for 177 Euros total...but I am not sure if this is the same type of sleeping arrangement - couchette vs sleeper? AND, can I book a 4 bed couchette for just 3 of us? This seems much cheaper...but I am thinking I must be doing something wrong?

Any advice?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Couchette is not the same as Sleeper.

In any case, best to book where the train originates, not from OEBB.

On Trenitalia, the couchette fare is approximately € 59 per person (this is the 'SMART' fare, not the full fare)

If you want the full cabin for yourselves, then you have to pay for 4 persons in the 4-bed couchette.

Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Thank you...so if we are originating in Florence i should book through Trenitalia?

I have filled out the form to register on their website as I assume that may give me more information than what I am finding by just going on the site w/o registering. I have received an email from them and attempted to login but now it says i have to wait for another email confirmation?

At this point, I don't see a couchette fare on Trenitalia - I only see "Cabina a 3 - intera" - is that the same?

I also don't see a Smart Fare through Trenitalia? Perhaps i must wait for my official login to see those rates?

What is the difference between a couchette and a sleeper?

And, if i book a 4-bed couchette, whose name and passport # do i use for the non-existant fourth person.

I can't believe how confusing and not user-friendly this Trenitalia website is!

Thanks for any clarifications and insight you can give me.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Florence to Vienna isn't a long ride though during the day. Unless you are trying to save a little bit of money, I suggest you just take the day train. I have taken this very night train (from Rome to Venice via Florence). It is not a comfortable ride overnight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

It is always best to book from the originating point, for the simple reason that we don't know who operates the train in this instance. There are reciprocal arrangements in place between DBahn and the Czech railways, between DBahn and the Austrian railways etc., but for a time there is no co-operation between the Italian and the Austrians. So much so, that the Austrian decides to run Railway buses to Venice, instead of the usual train (I believe they are trying to remedy this situation this year, but that is another story).

For a primer on the differences between a sleeper and a couchette, read this excellent website by Mark Smith

www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm#.UmX3K1NmMuQ

As far as passport is concerned, I believe you only need to give the credit card of the person who booked the tickets. I do agree Trenitalia is not user friendly, but it has improved a lot since the days I started using it back in 2009.

When you book you select under "Service - Cucetta 4 Posti Donna" (couchette - ladies)

Under "Offer" you select "SMART" or "Global Pass" if you have a Eurail pass. If there are only 3 of you in the group, then obviously they have the right to put another passenger of the same sex in the compartment.

If you book the whole cabin, the cost is € 236.

Hope this helps.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

This is an Austrian train, run jointly with the Italians, and it can be booked at either www.oebb.at (with print-at-home tickets) or www.italiarail.com with collect-at-station tickets (or indeed you can book at Trenitalia.com, but they hide the smart fares away so it's easier to use www.italiarail.com)

A couchette is a padded flat bunk, 4 or 6 per compartment. A sleeper has proper beds and washbasin, 1 2 or 3 beds per compartment, light breakfast included.

This is what the sleepers on this particular train look like: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/A/OeBB_WLABmz-7090-2…

And this is what the couchettes look like on this particular train:

vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…OeBB_Bcmz-5990-0.php

And here's the train formation:

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Thank you Man in Seat 61! I have been using your website in trying to figure this whole crazy train ride out!

I am not able to book any fares on that train (11/14/13 night train from florence to vienna). I have tried on Trenitalia and then on Rail Italia...have tried the Smart Fare, then the Smart 2 Fare then the Adult Fare on both. It always gives me the option to select the cheaper fares but after I put all of our info. in (names/passport #s, billing address/cc info) then it tells me there are no seats at that fare, etc. etc.

I'm not really sure if this train is in fact sold out? I have finally found a contact # and am inclined to call Italy as I don't want to get there and not have seats.

I don't want to take a train ride during the day as we will lose the whole day and only have 2 1/2 in Vienna as it is. Flights are very expensive so I'm feeling frustrated.

Perhaps we will go to Salzburg instead?

HELP!

Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Man in Seat 61...one more question. I am now looking into your suggestion...OBB travel. It allows me to select family (2 parents one child) for the rate of 196 Euros for 2nd class and an add-on for 40 Euros for a compartment for 4 beds.

Am I able to book a 4-bed compartment paying for only 3 people?

Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

Man in Seat 61...I can't believe I have another question for you...sorry!

I am trying to book on OEB now. As I just said in the previous post, I can purchase family rate for 196 euros w/ the only add-in available being a 40 euro add-on for 4 bed compartment - rate is called Spar Schiene.

OR I can select Global Night rate which is 356 euro and gives me 3 optional add-ons - Seat for 0 Euros, Location in 4-bed compartment for 120 Euros or Place to Sleep in T3 Compartment for 160 Euros.

Is the 196Eu + 40Eu 4-bed compartment the same as the 356Eu + 120Eu 4-bed compartment the same?

I am so confused.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

From Florence to Venice, the train takes just 2 hours. It certainly doesn't take the whole day.

Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night Train from Florence to Vienna?

im going to vienna not venice ;)