We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside of florence

1 post
Save Topic
Outside of florence

I will be spending 4 days in florence with my friend then i will have 3 days gap by myself. I would like to check out areas outside of florence, perhaps a day on cooking classes. Can you please suggest how I should spend the 3 days by myself? Thanks!

Walkabout Florence Tours
Day Trips, Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Sightseeing Tours
Curious Appetite Gourmet Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours, Cooking Classes, Bike Tours
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside of florence

Look right. 13th FAQ is "DAY TRIPS: Lucca, Pisa, Siena, Chianti..."

It depends on what you like, but if you are interested in ancient Rome, for example, Fiesole has a Roman amphitheatre.

You can check reviews on TA for cooking classes in Florence, e.g. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187895-d1… - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187895-d1…

See also tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c150186/Tusca…

Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside of florence

Take the local city center bus to Fiesole, in the hills above Florence.

Rail to Lucca for the day.

Rail to Siena for the day.

Take bus tour from Florence to Siena and San Gimignano.

Level Contributor
435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside of florence

You could do a wine tour for a day, this company is very good

The bus to Siena take about 1 hr and there is lots to see and do there

and you could do this cooking class, also well recommended

Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside of florence

Okay, one day in florence is enough, Pisa is no big deal, maybe an hour there, Livorno has a very popular night life with great shopping, Livorno is right off the coast, Siena i heard is way better than Florence, Siena should be number 2 on your list. Vinci, theres really nothing there. I heard Lucca is nice though. Its all up to you, different priorities!

Level Contributor
6,189 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outside of florence

Collin, are you joking? One day in Florence enough? You've heard too many things....

Edited: 9:43 am, October 19, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outside of florence

Florence is a place where there is no point visiting for a day. If I were the OP I would continue in Florence and do a bus trip to Siena (easily and inexpensively done on your own -- the bus takes about an hour and leave you in the edge of historic Siena and you can come back whenever you want -- note the times of the last couple of buses to Florence on the schedule posted when you arrive) Lucca is a lovely day trip by train.

I have never 'gotten' cooking classes. You can do that anywhere but Tuscan towns are only in Tuscany -- and the Siena Cathedral is one of the most amazing interiors in the world. If you search the group though you will find people's reports on various cooking classes in the area.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outside of florence

Siena is so easy to get to from Florence and well worth a day of anyone's time. You don't need a tour for this just take a bus from Florence bus station (right by the Santa Maria Novella train station). Watch out for the last bus times when returning: I think they only run til about 8pm.

You could try a small group day trip to the Tuscan hill towns; Slowdays in Florence do this http://www.slow-days.com/

Also worth a look are "Cook Eat Italian" who offer cooking classes either in Florence or out in the countryside on a farm http://www.cookeatitalian.com/

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
370 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outside of florence

If you haven't been to Rome, take the train and spend the time there but not a day trip.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Outside of florence

Hold on! Babydruid said he/she will spend four days in Florence, not one! YAY Babydruid! There's enough to see here to fill up not only your four days but your three extra days too. But if you'd like to branch out and see some of the wonderful things that lie just outside Florence's gates, some fine suggestions have already been made. Lucca is a short train ride away, is charming and has its own captivating history. Siena's a short bus ride away and is a whole different thing. There's no shortage of activities you could participate in, from cooking classes to horseback riding in the florentine hills. Just the other day I glanced out my office window here in Chianti and saw a hot air balloon float by! The only trouble you'll have finding great things to do for three days is leaving at the end of it!

10. Re: Outside of florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:28 pm, October 23, 2013