We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firenze card 72 euros

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Firenze card 72 euros

We are spending the first week in October in Florence as first timers. We are not sure which museums we want to visit but the Galileo, Academia, Gucci, and Uffizi are on our list. We might happen on others so we are planning on getting the card even though it may not be a good deal. If we buy individual tickets to each of those on our list, how can we add to our visits without long lines at other places? The hassle factor might be in play here to justify the 72 Euro card. Advice welcomed.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
185 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

I can not really advise you but I decided against it. I am headed to FLorence next week for 4 days and agonized over the card. The Uffizi and Accademia are 15 euros a piece for reservations on the official site and then that left 42 euros and I decided I did not want to spend more time trying to get my moneys worth out of the card rather than just enjoying myself. I think the lines are most prevelant at the Uffizi, Accademia and the Duomo (where I do not think the card helps with the lines) I made the reservations at the Uffizi and Accademia but then will go where I want and what I am in the mood for. I have day trip to Siena planned and that will probably get in the way of the 72 hours for the card. If it is your one and only trip to Florence, it may be a good idea depending on how long you are there and what yur interests are. I doubt my answer helps but hope it gives you an additional point of view. Enjoy your trip.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

I think that is an especially good post, MAC65, particularly this " I did not want to spend more time trying to get my moneys worth out of the card rather than just enjoying myself"

People definitely need to think about this

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

Hi Oprah44 -

If the Gucci Museum's on your list, please put the Ferragamo shoe museum on it as well.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

I agree with Pericoloso, MAC65's post offers very good advice.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
185 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

Thank you for your kind words ...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,253 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

I thought the Firenze Card was overpriced when it was 50 Euros for only 3 days -- at 72 -- ridiculous.

But you are wrong that it doesn't help with lines at the Academia, Uffizi etc -- with the Amici Card we had (which functions in a similar way and is good for a year -- but doen't include the churches and transport) we literally walked right in at those places. There is a special door at the Uffizi, so you don't even wait in the reservation line. And at the Academia we walked right in ahead of people in the very long reservation line as well as the main line.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

I think the OP means the Firenze card does not help with lines at the Duomo. I have heard it may help with lines at the Duomo sites - the new 72 euro card does cover the new Duomo site tickets (which now cost 10 euro) but I can't confirm if you can skip the lines with Firenze card. I just made reservations for Accademia and Uffizi by phone so if the kids are not up for both, we can do something else instead.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

About Florence card at 72 euro, being or not this such a "good deal" or having, or not, "overpriced", it can maybe interesting to know that the matter is that the Firenze card was not born as a "hard discount" way to enter as much as museums possible in 3 days. From the beginning, it wasn't that the purpose. The idea was to offer to tourists who liked the idea a unified ticket (biglietto unico) for Florence museums (State, Municipality, Church, private museums...), which would avoid the lines or to worry about museums tickets. Sure, obviously the idea was also to offer tourists an advantage, and an economic convenience too, to purchase the card. But not with such a loss from the Municipality of Florence.

Actually, what happened?

For all of you who read italian, here it is a news about a press release from city councilman Grassi, who criticizes the Municipality for the idea of the card just seven months after the start, in 2011, and some newspapers articles about it.

…repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblic…

…corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/2011/13…

http://www.ilsitodifirenze.it/content/644-firenze-card-e-fu-così-che-i-turisti-beffarono-il-comune

Well, the card, sold at 50 euro, was a loss just some months after the beginning; tourists which bought the card, they started something like a "museums marathon" in three days, forcing the Municipality to divide the card receipts with many more museums than expected. Sometimes, just entering a museum for half an hour, or even less time; but with the entrance, five minutes or five hours, the Municipality must compensate the museum for the ticket sold. This made the all idea a little different as it was imagined; also because the success of the card was nothing but bigger every year, and even huge, and the prospects were of ever increasing losses, without knowing how many. In fact, while at the beginning the museums were 33, after some months they went up to 50. And the plan was to enlarge to all Florence museums the card; now with the card they are 60.

That's why councilman Grassi, worried about, and the meaning of his speech.

Well, things seen from a different perspective, they are not the same. If the card price here it's even described as "ridiculous"; from the perspective of the administration, the cost of 50 euro was no longer tenable. It was, by the way, the same price of 50 euro when the card had only 33 museums; and it was two years ago.

Some months ago, around March 2013, I read that a town councilor said, that each card, sold at 50 euro, cost 62 euro to Florence Municipality.

For all these reasons, it was impossible to keep the card at 50 euro, as everyone sees. The Firenze card is an advantage (una cosa comoda); but In this days of fiscal disarray (conti pubblici dissestati), and of default risk, it was no more possible to leave things as they were at the beginning.

So they (the Municipality) decided to raise the price to 72 euro; also, probably, to be sure this time that even with a huge success, and tourists visiting, say, 20 museums in 3 days, the Municipality doesn't lose out too much (non ci rimettono troppo); at first it seemed they intended raise the price to 62 euro

http://met.provincia.fi.it/news.aspx?n=146844

but finally they decided to bring it to 72, just to have a margin, if maybe the museums seen are more than 20...

The Firenze card is an advantage: una cosa comoda; I don't know how translate "comodo", as "advantage" maybe means itself "economic" advantage, which it's not what I mean now with "comodo". It should be something whose usefulness, and value, it is not only a heavy discounted entrance to all museums, even if a convenience is provided (dovrebbe essere qualcosa la cui utilità non si limita a un ingresso scontantissimo ai musei, anche se c'è un vantaggio). After all there is also a free entrance to all the busses, which this too it can be useful, and wifi, it seems. So yes I agree... if buying the card, it creates more problems of what it solves (se comprarla crea più problemi di quelli che risolve)... and force people to become mad, desperately trying to make the biggest gain possible, for the money they spent... well this is not a "cosa comoda", an advantage at all.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

Mille grazie, alberto! Lots of excellent information which certainly puts a better perspective on things.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firenze card 72 euros

Indeed, thank you very much Alberto, I had not previously understood the way the card worked at all.