We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My ATM card was skimmed

Foothill Ranch
3 posts
Save Topic
My ATM card was skimmed

Beware of the ATM machines at the BNL Bank on Via Dei Carretani near the Piazza Del Duomo in Florence. Someone has placed skimmers in the machines that are able to copy your card number and PIN. They wait for a month after the transaction and then clean out your account. They cleaned mine to the tune of $5000. The withdrawls come from Berlin. I took all the precautions including inspecting the card reader and covering the keypad. The ATM was in the lobby of the bank which makes me wonder how they inserted a skimmer without the bank knowing about it.

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,425 reviews
from $109.54*
Cinque Terre Day Trip from Florence
671 reviews
from $108.32*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
2,795 reviews
from $109.54*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,410 reviews
from $108.32*
$114.41
Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

This has me kind of leery about using my ATM card when I'm in FLorence next week, I think I'll take out cash before I leave and then convert to Euros when I'm there. Don't need that kind of experience.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

If you convert foreign currency (cash) to euros, you will get a very poor rate of exchange. 99.9% of visitors have never had the problem experienced by the original poster, Your choice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

That would be a shame; not only will you get lousy currency exchange rate by changing to euros there - what will happen if you lose your cash?

I use my debit card in Italy all the time and have never had a problem - doesn't mean it can never happen but since I always take cards from two separate bank accounts, if it were to happen, I wouldn't be left high and dry. When I travel, I check my accounts for the cards I use every day to make sure there is no suspicious activity.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

I'm a little confused here.

"When I pointed out that I gave them precise dates when I would be in Italy and the withdrawals were made outside that window, the bank informed me that if a pin# is used, it is considered a secure transaction and therefore they don't interfere."

Excuse me? When I contact my bank and credit card company and I tell them (or they ask me) the 'exact' dates I'm going to be in Italy...it means nothing? That if a transaction is made in or from Berlin, Germany...a month after I return home, and obviously I have not informed them that I am or will be in Germany? Something is amiss here? That is ridiculous...where is the accountability? Never the less, sorry to hear of your problem, and thanks for the heads up.

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

When i call to notify my card issuer, seems i get the automated system that just allows you to input dates, not the countries to be visited, maybe they don't care which countries anymore - I think when I contacted a person they did ask, but maybe it has changed.

Re skimming, they are getting really sophisticated, in some cases they open the machine and insert some electronics that capture and transmit everything so you see nothing on the outside.

16. Re: My ATM card was skimmed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 09, 2014