We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning question for Florence

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning question for Florence

I will arrive at Florence at 7:20 pm in Sept. My plan is to check in the hotel and the visit the following sites in the evening:

Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore

Piazza della Signoria

Church of Santa Maria Novella

In the morning next day, I'm planning to catch an early train to Pisa and take some photos and then come back to Florence. My train leaving from Florence at 5:55 pm to Venice.

I will have full noon and afternoon in Florence to catch up.

Galleria dell’Accademia

Piazza della Signoria

Galleria degli Uffizi

Ponte Vecchio

Piazzale Michelangelo

Pitti Palace

I may not go to Pitti Palace. To avoid long wait in the line at Galleria dell’Accademia and Galleria degli Uffizi. I may visit one of them before I heading to Pisa in the morning. My time is very limited. How should I plan for my time in Florence? Where should I go?

Duomo - Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore
Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites
Church of Santa Maria Novella
Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
Cappelle Medicee
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Chiesa e Museo di Orsanmichele
Churches & Cathedrals, Art Museums, Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

Hi Dave C,

I hate to break it to you but you have some serious choosing to do. There's no way you can pack all that into an evening and a short afternoon!

On your first evening you'll be able to visit the duomo and a S. Maria Novella externally - they'll be closed by the time you get here. Piazza della Signoria is a piazza and so you're ok there. While you're at it, why not visit Palazzo Vecchio? It's a fascinating place and it's open until midnight.

Next day, even if you leave for Pisa at the crack of dawn, you won't be back in Florence until lunchtime. If I were you, I would choose one thing from your list and do it well. Keep in mind that both the Accademia and Uffizi require reservations, unless you don't mind waiting a couple of hours to get in. And you don't have that kind of time to spare. Give the Accademia at least an hour - I give it at least two because there's a whole lot more to it than David (who ain't chopped liver himself!) Give the Uffizi two and a half hours, bare bones minimum.

On the other hand, I might be tempted just to axe the whole plan and spend the afternoon just wandering! Florence is a maze of intriguing nooks and crannies, more so than many suspect! In any case, don't be so rushed that you don't slow down for a gelato!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

Thank you so much Eugene. I will consider Palazzo Vecchio for the evening of my arrival. It's good to know it's open until midnight. How about Accademia and Uffizi? What time do you close? Also, is it allowed to take photos inside?

3. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, August 11, 2013
Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
518 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

I agree with Eugene's thoughts. What I did is made a list of what we wanted to see and looked up each venue to see what times they were open and closed. This was helpful for me because some places (e.g. Bargello Museum) closed "early" at 2PM.

I went in July and off the top of my head both Accademia and Uffizi were open until about 6:30PM. That said hours could vary in September.

Lastly pictures are NOT allowed in either museum. But did see quite a few folks taking pictures and then getting told by security NO pictures.

Regarding Pisa, try to leave as early as possible; look up train schedule they seemed to have trains about every hour leaving for Pisa.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

Hi Eugene, do you know any other museums open until midnight or late? Thanks!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

From the top right FAQ - Museum Tickets, click the link for firenzemusei.it and the various museums hours are available.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145508/Tusca…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
613 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

I didn't other museums open until midnight, except Palazzo Vecchio, but it closes late on Thursday.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

Why are you going to Pisa? If it is just to see the Leaning Tower and take some pictures and etc., I would forget it. But that is just my opinion...so much to see and do in Florence!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,536 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

With such a short amount of time you have, Pisa might not be a good option since you've barely got enough time to see Florence.

Pisa is also only worthwhile if you spend the 30 minutes climbing the Tower. In that case, book your Tower tickets in advance (12 to 20 days before your climb date) so you can minimize your time spent at Pisa and come back to Florence.

http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Turisti/

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip planning question for Florence

Dave C,

The Baptistry of San Giovanni (one of my most favorite places anywhere) is open until 11:00pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights through September 28.

Palazzo Strozzi, presently home to the spectacular exhibit "The Springtime of the Renaissance", is open until 11:00pm on Thursday nights.

As for Pisa... why not? Everyone has different interests, different desires and goals. The tower would be beautiful even if it didn't lean and the Duomo is an extraordinary example of Romanesque architecture filled with all sorts of beautiful treats for the eyes.