We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it normal to rain in June?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is it normal to rain in June?

My boyfriend and I willl be arriving next Saturday (JUNE 15) and just looked at the weather which shows rain. The temperatures seem nice so im guessing its humid? Are closed toe shoes a must? or is it just light rain?

Is it common that it rains in Florence in mid June?

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

Prediction is hard - especially about the future.

Predicting the weather is not only hard - it's foolhardy. And weather in Florence is especially difficult to predict.

Asking about "normal" or "average" weather in Florence is really pointless. It's as though Bill Gates and I were in an elevator together and somebody asks what the "average" income of the passengers is.

All that being said, Google is your friend. I googled "average weather Florence Italy" and got all kinds of totally useless information.

Hope for the best and pack for the worst - unless you want to go through the agonizing process of buying shoes in Florence.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

Yesterday here in Chianti, we experienced a tremendous and prolonged thunderstorm. The roads were like rivers. Today it's clear and sunny but still cool. It's not humid. I recommend that you bring warm clothing and footwear suited to lots of water on the ground, in addition to your usual summer clothes. It's been a very unusual year weatherwise up until now.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

I just got back from a weekend trip to Florence, and if it helps, I can describe the weather we experienced. Saturday was hot and sunny and humid. We had to take a break in midday just to avoid the heat. It was 29 Celsius, but felt warmer than that. In contrast, Sunday was cool and rained off and on, at times, somewhat heavy. For that day, a light jacket and closed shoes was definitely appreciated!

Hope this helps!

4. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:49 pm, June 10, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

Interesting though, weathermen (weather people) always speak in terms of "averages". Average rainfall, average snowfall, average temperature....for the month, for the year, for the area...But I digress.

Regardless, it has been quite chilly here in Tuscany with the odd day here and there that is warm and sunny and seems promising. But then, the next day...sigh. Looking at my diary of last year, I actually see that these first few weeks of June 2012 were similar (May 2012 was hot however unlike this year). And then by the second week of June 2012 it had heated up and from then on, never seemed to cooled down.

I would however, bring at least one pair of closed toe shoes and a few sweaters to layer. Nights are still very, very chilly and I have had to turn my heat on more often than I should. Bring a small portable umbrella as well. These last few days, what we have had is general overcast days, but then all of sudden the sky will turn real dark and it will rain cats and dogs for a half hour, maybe an hour, then stop.

Preparation is half the battle, so be prepared.

Looking forward to this weekend and the week following, the weather is showing huge improvement with lots of round yellow balls of sun and temps in the mid-80's.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

With the exception of last June (where I readily stand corrected but I don't recall it raining once), I can't remember a June (at least during the first part of the month) when it hasn't rained. I remember a June - I think it was 2010 - when I got the car stuck axle deep in mud in mid-June and had to find a man with a tractor to pull me out. I was in a tee shirt yesterday for the first time this summer but today I'm back in boots and socks, two jumpers, scarf. However, it's clearly a case of what you're used to for I've seen quite a few foreign visitors out today in the southern Tuscan villages wearing just shorts and tee shirts and appearing to manage just fine.

Lugano
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

Last year in June was very hot and sunny

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

And even 2 days-out forecasts are often very wrong. While I'm sitting inside during this afternoon's downpour in Sestri Levante, continuing now, I was curious what the weather channel app would show for Sestri today and tomorrow. It shows that there isn't a cloud in the sky this afternoon, it's sunny, warm and lovely. Um, no it's not! It's been raining here for almost 2 hours, thunder is growling and while we are about 3.5 hours from sunset, the sky is 90% gray and cloudy while it's raining.

Bring a rain jacket, very thin long sleeve layer long sleeve shirt should be fine. days have gone from so cold to so hot in the blink of a week. And no,w the rains have returned. I really have never seen such crazy weather in Italy until last year and this. Although for 25 years, I've usually traveled more central to southern Italy, so perhaps that is part of it.

Edited: 11:31 am, June 24, 2013
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

And to your point Lanago2 - we were showing (according to the weather reports) here in the hills above Arezzo to be having rain all day, so I schedule nothing and and held off on my laundry. The result? We have only had sunny skies and just a few clouds. We want to go to the beach tomorrow and it is showing sunny skies...what to do? What to do?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it normal to rain in June?

Ha! It is absolutely pazzo, this weather!!

My laundry is hanging on the drying line now in the living room, as I peek outside now at the sea, wanting to put it back out for a final 30 minutes or more of sun. So far, just watching...but the good sign is the Ligurian sea gulls are singing, so that means better chances of clearing now.

Weather channel app has been fairly worthless for 6 weeks, really. Instead, I listen to the waves and if they start to pound the shore more urgently, I figure rain is coming. And once the mosquitoes start nipping my ankles and the birds poop on the porch, odds are that the sun is coming! :-))