We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

I have been saving madly to buy a Leather jacket on our upcoming month in Italy. I understand that I probably shouldn't expect a bargain..for me it's about the quality and variety. Am I being realistic having a budget of 350 euros? I will be looking at buying from a store rather than the markets.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Sandy

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Can you tell high-quality leather by looking at it and feeling it?

Can you tell high-quality from low-quality tailoring?

I don't have a clue about either.

Lots of people get taken in by people selling low-quality leather goods in Florence.

I'm afraid you will be very hard-pressed to find a "good quality" leather jacket in Florence for anything like 350 euros.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Thank you...I think I had a feeling it wasn't near enough. Might need to be a handbag. :)

Re quality, I have been researching how to test the quality of leather and workmanship. I guess the only other thing I can do is look for recommendations from other purchasers or more importantly their warnings. I know the markets are more miss than hit but I was hoping the stores might yield some good products.

Other than that, it is a risk I take, especially being unable to return.

Thanks again for your help.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,547 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

I think that 350 euro might be workable, now, given the economic reality in Italy. I also suggest that you can assume the seller, even in the best stores, will be willing to knock at least 100 euro off of their first stated price, don't be afraid to bargain, or say, make an offer. 350 would be on the low end in better economic times, but things are different now.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Thanks Roadgard..that gives me a little hope. I need to have my haggling hat on I think. It does make sense that when things are a little tight in the economy they may be a little more flexible with their prices. Definately worth trying :)

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Check out Bemporad on Via del Calzaiuoli, it's a few yards up on the left as you head north from Piazza Signoria towards Il Duomo. They have unbelievably good quality leather jackets in a wide range of designs and styles, all beautifully stitched using skins that are as soft as butter. They start at around Euros 350 for a regular model with some of the more tailored jackets going up to double that. I have never tried to negotiate in this shop but it works virtually everywhere else at the moment (outside of the chain / department stores) so why not give it a try. If you wave cash, you have a better chance of getting a discount than if you pay on card. Good luck!

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Thanks for the recommendation. A good one is like gold. Cash it will be! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

If you find an Italian made leather jacket for 350 euros - do let us know from where. It's hard to even find the leather jackets made in China for that amount in a lot of places and there are a lot of leather goods in Italy that are coming from China just as they are in other parts of the world.

Just looking at some purses in Italy the past few years - ones that were genuinely made there - I couldn't touch with my budget.

Do let us know if you are successful!

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Listen to MomCat

And the problem is even worse: Many lousy leather goods made by sweated Chinese labor legally carry the "Made in Italy" label. They aren't made in China, they are made in sweat shops in Prato using Chinese workers.

Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

We just purchased three leather jackets from Massimo at San Lorenzo market. He seems to have a good reputation, I found out about him from another post. My husbands jacket is baby lamb skin and cost 220 euro, mine was lamb skin, still soft, but not as soft, for 190 euro.

His address is Borgo La Noce 13/R. Check it out before buying from the shops.

Happy shopping :)

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices of Good Quality Leather Jackets

Dorothy,

Please try to remember to come back to this board in a couple of years and tell us how the jackets are doing.