We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence trip

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Florence trip

Hi all,

My trip to Italy is nearing so just sorting out loose plans. We will be in Florence from 3pm on Thur till midday on Saturday (we want to have a quick peek at Pisa before our flight home in the evening).

I wanted some help with the order of how we should see the sights, bear in mind my partner has planned a 'surprise' on Friday day for a few hours so that may be taken up.

We are staying at Frienze Suite (Via Nuova de'Caccini, 25 angolo Via della Pergola).

I am thinking the following loose plan - can you tell me if the following works? Am I missing something amazing? Are we passing anything on this route that we could have a look at externally? Has anybody been to the Planetarium and is it worth going? Lastly, do we need a Frienze card?

Thur

3pm Take a taxi to Firenze Suite

4pm Walk towards Duomo, climb up to enjoy the view

5.30 Walk to Museo Galileo

7.00 Have a glass of prosecco somewhere

Evening: Dinner at La Giostra

Fri

9.00 Breakfast at hotel

10.00 Uffizi

12.30 Walk to Piazza della Signoria - possibly lunch here?

1.30 Museo Gucci - to have a Gucci cake and take a pic for someone I know!

2.00 Walk over the bridge and head to Piazzale Michelangelo and walk up to see the view

Keeping rest of day free for the 'surprise' and also just to stop by and take in florence :-)

Where can we go for a romantic dinner to watch the sunset?

Sat

Breakfast at hotel

Check out

Coffee in Florence to say bye

Head to train station and get the train to Pisa

Thanks so much for all your help in advance.x

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence trip

It is a bizarre itinerary to me, but you have clearly tailored it around your interests and for that I commend you. Are you missing amazing stuff? Heaps, but you don't have the time.

I am concerned that you won't have time to climb the dome and get to the Museo Galileo by 5.30. There is often quite a queue to climb the dome and it is fairly slow moving. If you get there and find a long queue, then consider climbing the Campanile which while not quite as interesting a climb as the dome is, does offer equally good views from the top.

I don't think you are seeing enough to warrant getting a Firenze card, but you do need to make reservations in advance for the Uffizi to avoid a very long queue there. I'm not sure the Piazza della Signoria is the best place to eat, but then the view and people watching might worth paying a little more for a little less quality food.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence trip

Please don't have lunch in Piazza della Signoria unless you want average food at way above average prices.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence trip

The Galileo Museum closes at 6pm!

I totally agree with Lastraniera about eating in Piazza della Signoria. There are plenty of fine places in the neighborhood. But if you feel like a little splurge, have a prosecco or negroni at Caffè Rivoire.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence trip

Aperitives at Rivoire are, in my book, a must when in Florence. Maybe they don't come cheap, but drinks are comparable in price to most fancy bars in any major city in the world, and few such bars come with a view comparable to Florence's Palazzo Vecchio and the Loggia dei Lanzi! In addition, you get a generous plate of "stuzzichini", ie quite substantial nibbles that sometimes do me instead of dinner, especially if I've already had a large lunch. Standing up at the counter, I also reckon an espresso and a pastry (ie an Italian "breakfast") is a fairly good value start to the day too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence trip

Thanks all so much for your help. To be honest Piazza della Signoria wasn't on my to-do list, it was just close to the last spot. Bizzare - how so? Sounds pretty much like me!

The 'surprise' is now in the evening of Friday so can any of you recommend a plan that allows us to spend some time at the museum (if it closes at 6 does that mean last entrance or actual closing?), eliminating Piazza della Signoria and possibly adding of the many tiings that we should see but don't have time to.

x

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence trip

I didn't mean any offence, I did say bizarre to me! We are all so different with such different interests. So many people go to Florence and let the guide books and friends tell them what to see instead of seeking out what Florence has to offer their personal tastes. You have clearly looked carefully at what is likely to appeal to you and I genuinely wish more people would do that.

Please don't miss the Piazza della Signoria, it is one of Florence's highlights, just don't eat there. The Museo Galileo closes at 6pm, not sure what time their last entry is, but I would think you need at least an hour to look around.

Concord...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence trip

This is not an answer to your question but one of my own. I am trying to contact Firenze Suite - tried to book-on-line and then used info@suitefirenze.com and neither site worked. How did you contact them? I'm in the USA and would prefer not to call or fax.

Please, can anyone help me?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,539 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence trip

Florence is small enough that you can easily walk anywhere for meals or a snack. Two places I highly recommend are Procacci on Via Tournabouni for a light meals of gorgeous finger sandwiches smothered in truffle cream, wines, prosecco and the original Cafe Giacosa, birthplace of the negron, beside the Roberto Cavalli boutique. I'd do Procacci for lunch or snack and Cafe Giacosa for drinks or coffee breaks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence trip

aflower, if you are trying to book a hotel and the website and email are not working, I would think the first thing you would want to do is pick up the phone and call them. I'd be very hesitant to book under those circumstances without hearing a live voice and having them explain why they have not responded.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,539 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence trip

I would agree with NYplaymaker, phone calls are cheap compared to the worries of not having a room. Or find an alternative that gives you immediate response, that should serve as a standard to the service you will receive when there, I would also suggest you look into the services of www.windowsonitaly.com, they are a very large company that handles some choice properties. And the one we rented last week was in the building adjacent to their offices and hence convenient when you needed their services.