We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Our first trip to Italy!! Four of us flying into FCO 7am Sun 7/28 meeting our daughters 8:30am flight; heading to Florence for the 1st leg of our trip via train for 2 days.

We found out the Accademie & Uffizi are closed Mondays, can we fit both in on our arrival day Sunday. (we are planning a wine tour on Mon)

Is it reasonable? maybe 3-4 hrs plus to get from airport to Florence?? taking into consideration luggage pickup, getting to Termini (would a car service be better with 5? recommendations?) ticketing & boarding Trenitalia, walk to Hotel. Or are we way off ? Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Accademia should be doable, I really don't think you should consider the Uffizi, it is way to big and crowded and you'll be dog tired.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,083 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

If you know you could do all this and deal with jet lag (I sure couldn't), then give it a whirl. I'd be walking into walls by the time you would first be arriving at a museum and none of it would register in my brain. But, you may have no trouble with jet lag.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Unless you have a passion for late Medieval and Renaissance painting, do not even think about going to the Uffizi.

If you only have two days in Florence, go to the Palazzo Vecchio, for 700 years the heart and soul of Florence, which is a tremendously fun way to get some idea of just how and why Florence was the most important city in Europe for almost 250 years - and it has a whole lot of really good art in it as well.

Walk around the town and soak up the atmosphere and the beauty. Go up to the Church of San Miniato al Monte, for the stupendous views, and, if it's at sunset, they will throw in monks chanting at vespers for free.

If you simply cannot live without seeing Michelangelo's "David", make a reservation. See the thread at the top of this forum.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Thanks for all the replies, will take all under advisement : ) my daughers 30 & 20 all world travelers I'm sure they can deal with the jetlag, thinking myself and husband will need the RR (and a few drinks). Personally, I'd like to see David, but prefer soaking in the city. We booked a Hotel in the Villa Maria Novella section. I'd rather hit a spot to have a bite to eat. Any recommendations before I read through the forum posts.

Thanks again!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

I think the others advice is spot on. I would focus on the Accademia, and then (just a short walk) you could head over to the Duomo (and just past there is the Duomo museum (not sure when it's open/closed) - it's smaller, much less crowded but absolutely lovely. They may be doing some construction on it as well, so you'd want to check into that. The Pieta there was breathtaking. The Accademia has more than just "The David" as well, Michaelangelo's "Prisoners" really captured (no pun intended) us. If you were feeling up to it, you can always climb the Duomo for a view over the city (but it is hotter later in the day).

I believe a previous poster suggested going to the church near Piazzale Michaelangelo - San Miniato al Monte. Wonderful views of the city and you might just catch a choir practicing, like we did (the acoustics were incredible).

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Thanks I think this does work I'm calling Accademie to reserve our tickets. And do a walk around, I need to read reviews on restaurants in the areas!

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Just found out the Duomo Museum is closed for renovation

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Not quite.

The Opera dell'Duomo will be partially closed for renovation, starting at the end of May.

But if you are desperate to see Ghiberti's "Gates of Paradise" and/or Michelangelo's third, and somewhat unfortunate "Pieta", they will be on view.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Thanks, UT didn't realize it was part of a larger complex

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Rome train to Florence right to Museums- Doable?

Reader

There is no "larger complex". In fact, the Opera dell'Duomo is a very small museum. They have simply figured a way for people to see what may be the two most popular works in the museum (at least for people other than me) while they are doing work.

I assume that you are planning on going to the Bargello - a slightly larger collection of Florentine sculpture - which, according to some, is even better than that in the Opera dell'Duomo - and is, unquestionably, in a far, far better building. Together with Orsanmichele, the Signoria and its piazza, the Baptistery, etc., you should not suffer a great shortage of sculpture - but you will be missing a lot.