We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car stress!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car stress!

We are looking to rent a car (National CarRental) to pick up in Florence on the day we are heading out of town for 5 days in the countryside. We are staying near SanGigmanano and want to be able to drive around the area during our stay. I am uncertain which location is best suited for us to pick up at: airport (via Palagio Degli Spini) OR Florence Central Office (I am not sure what that is) at Via Maso Finiguerra. We will be leaving from il Salotto di Firenze B&B at Via Roma, 6. Is one much closer than the other? Is one easier to get it of town from? Are there ZTLs we need to be concerned with? We are planning on dropping the car in Naples before we head on to Sorrento. All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,495 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car stress!

There are ZTLs in Florence and they and bus lanes are difficult to avoid. Personally I would hire from the airport but others may be able to give better information.

I do query why you would drop the car in Naples when you can just as easily drop it in Sorrento.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car stress!

First of all, if there is any possibility of doing so, try to get out of renting from National/Maggiore. They have a terrible reputation.

See, for example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k15609…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k37912…

Secondly, it is possible, but by no means easy to drive from the National/Maggiore office in the Via Maso Finiguerra out of town without violating the ZTL and/or the bus lane restrictions - both of which are enforced by cameras.

I would go to the airport. They may charge you 50 euros more, and you will have to pay to get to the airport (which is a flat 20 euro fare, plus a euro for each bag the driver handles). But that will be a whole lot less than you would have to pay if you violated either the ZTL or drove in a bus lane.

The most important thing to remember is this: If you drive in Italy the way you drive in Manitoba you are asking for big-time trouble. Stay out of towns as much as you can. ZTLs are everywhere, and the locals are not tolerant of tourists who don't know where they're going. Park outside of towns and take public transportation. When you drive on a highway, keep right unless you are passing somebody - and then get back in the right lane just as fast as you possibly can. Don't even think about driving in Naples. Italians who drive everywhere do not drive in Naples.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car stress!

Irrespective of who you rent from...pick up your vehicle at the airport.

For what it's worth....I like Europcar.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car stress!

Another one for the airport and drop the car in Sorrento. As far as National/Maggiore goes, I have rented from them twice in Italy and have nothing but good things to say about them. Their staff at the Termini station, FCO and the airport in Venice were outstanding.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car stress!

If you are really worried about driving in Florence you could catch a train to the nearest car rental location to San Gimignano and start your driving holiday from there. We find this strategy averts a marital chrisis as yours truly is the kind of navigator who sometimes needs to turn the map upside down to get the directions right!

6. Re: Rental car stress!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 09, 2014