We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great and cheap places to eat in Florence

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Great and cheap places to eat in Florence

I was on a budget in Florence and I couldn't believe the restaurants were charging 8-9 Euros for a plate of pasta with tomato sauce. Along with the service charges it wasn't worth the price. I tried to avoid waiter service restaurants. I found a few cheaper alternatives in self-service restaurants.

They're cafeteria like enviornments but with good cheap food. You choose your dish and it's given to you, and then u sit where u like for as long as u like and no one bothers you. When you're done you bring you're tray to the counter, and you don't leave a tip or pay a service charge.

I visited this restaurant in 2004, so I'm not sure it's still there.

Leonardo Ristorante self-service

Via Pecori, 5

tel 055/28.44.46

closed Saturdays

They had really good risotto's and pasta dishes for 3-4 Euro's;

Meat and Fish dishes for 5-8 Euro's, and other dishes. I typically spent 10-12 Euro for dinner and I was satisfied with my dinners.

I also went to spizzico which is a fastfood pizza chain. You get 2 slices of pizza with a topping, Drink and a side dish (fries or potato

crochettes or rice ball) for about 7 Euro's. You also eat in their restaurant and are left alone.

I ate in a good restaurant one time during my trip, to treat myself, it was good but expensive.

You can't get a bad meal in Italy, but a meal leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I pay more than it's worth; afterall, its only pasta and tomatos.

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great and cheap places to eat in Florence

I am praying to the saints for a zipper for my mouth.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great and cheap places to eat in Florence

Hi, you are right, and yes Leonardo's self-service is still there, a couple of minutes walk from the Duomo. I went there in March this year. Very good value indeed, no atmosphere or ambience so don't go if you want that, but good honest food at good prices. Popular with locals too, always a good sign. A plate of pasta for about 3-4 euros, a bargain in Florence.

3. Re: Great and cheap places to eat in Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 15, 2009