We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence Itinerary: suggestions or advice?

maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Florence Itinerary: suggestions or advice?

Hi everyone,

I've been spending hours and hours planning our trip to Greece and Italy this summer--the opening hours/days of the museums and sights in Florence sure are a lot harder to plan around then in Rome! I've never seen more random opening/closing times!

Anyways, I think I finally have our days in Florence planned out (subject to change of course, based on how we're feeling each day!). We have three teenage boys, but luckily they enjoy history/sightseeing/art/architecture, etc. (of course they also enjoy sleeping in and eating!). This will be our first time to Florence and I've tried to pack a lot in, but hopefully reasonably. We will definitely skip sights during the day if we're all tired or just want to relax a little longer in a piazza.

That said, I do like to have things planned out for each day so we know what we're doing--especially in Florence where things are closed on odd days or hours. Please let me know if you see that I have us visiting a site you know will be closed on that day. Also important to note: we plan to purchase Firenze cards for everyone, so will not have to make reservations for sites.

Saturday/Aug. 3:

arrive from Rome by train 6:00 p.m. (tickets already purchased)

check in to the apartment we are renting, right near the Duomo

relax, walk around the pedestrian area, find a nice place for dinner

Sunday/Aug. 4:

Uffizi tour with Context Travel 9-11:30am

lunch

Palazzo Vecchio (secret itinerary tour)

Santa Croce

Galileo museum

Piazza della Signoria (relax, eat)

Ponte Vecchio

dinner

Monday/Aug. 5:

Duomo in the morning (Bell tower, Museo dell'Opera, Cathedral, Duomo, Baptistry)

lunch (Central market)

Palazzo Medici-Riccardi

San Lorenzo market

Santa Maria Novella

Palazzo Strozzi (Springtime of Renaissance)

dinner

Tuesday/Aug. 6:

Accademia

San Lorenzo & Medici chapels

Bargello

lunch

Pitti Palace

Boboli Garden

Brancacci chapel

Santo Spirito

dinner

Wednesday/Aug. 7:

check out of our apartment, store luggage (can we store at the train station?)

Pisa day trip (or we will stay in Florence if we've missed things on previous days)

4:00 catch train to Venice

We are definitely planning to take a late afternoon/early evening bus ride up to Piazzale Michelangelo at least one evening.

Does that plan look at least somewhat do-able? Some museums we may only spend an hour or so in, and some churches only 30 min.

For our day trip to Pisa, do we take a train or a bus? Do I need to purchase transportation tickets ahead of time? I'd rather wait until the last moment in case we change our minds. Also I believe we need to make reservations to climb the Tower of Pisa, can I do that at the last minute?

Thank you!!

maryland
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Florence Itinerary: suggestions or advice?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Peggypatch, thanks for your post--I think this will work out for us. We're flexible! Thanks for the info on Pisa too.

Nubbyrose, the Firenze card is such a great option! I know getting around will probably take some time--I've tried to group places that are close together on the same day as much as possible to help with that, but sometimes, with various opening times, it wasn't possible. I've tried to build in extra time here and there throughout the day for that reason, or so we can stop for gelato ! We'll see how it goes, but thanks for the heads up!

My kids really do like art, etc.--however we will be in Athens and Rome before Florence, so I'm sure we'll all be getting a little museum-weary. We will spending time at a beach in Greece before Rome, and will spend our last day in Roma at Ostia Antica, then our last Florence day at Pisa, so I've tried to build in "breaks" every 3-4 days or so. Places where we can relax and enjoy the scenery.

No matter what, it will be a great trip! Looking forward to July/August!

12. Re: Florence Itinerary: suggestions or advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 03, 2014