We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israele
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

we have rented an apartment from an agency (lodginginflorence.com) 1 1/2 month before our arriving in florence.we agreed to rent from an agency - even if the price is higher then directly from the owner - just to be sure that everything was ok -- but it wasn't at all. for our surprise the reservation was canceled 4 hours before check-in .(even they could be so gentle to sent me 1 day prior the visit in florence i could have stayed some hours in internet untill i could be sure that i'll find something that really fits us - elevator,hystoric center,wifi),we have lost a lot of money and nerves this thing made us a lot of trouble ( we were a group of 4 persons - 2 old people 83 years old - one of them invalid). it was a real problem to enter different hotels untill we found one that have 2 free rooms for the same night. our trip in beautiful florence wasn't so pleasent at all as we expected - and this was because of this agency

now - after this spoiled vacation in florence we have been trying to receive a compensation from this unprofessional agency.-

does anyone know where can i write complainsts against an italian travel agency ? who can check this agents ? is there an italian supervisor agency ? customers' service ?

(from florence i have wrote them a short email - and explained them how shocked and disapointed we were and also added that in the momemt we'll be back home we'll write complaints against this agency. i haven't there too much time to spare on internet)s

when i returned home i have checked tripadvisor and have seen many travelers that have fallen in this tourist trap.

my responsability is now to write in tourist forums - and let other travelers know the truth about this agency and to avoid it ( if anyone has ideas - welcome !!)

today i have already published the reviews on tripadvisor and flipkey.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

Julio....you are wrong.

A look at Homeaway vacation rentals for Tuscany today shows 4,479 properties managed by the owner and 4,203 properties managed by a property manager.

VRBO Tuscan properties today shows 2,980 properties managed by owner and 3.004 properties handled by property managers.

12. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:25 am, December 15, 2013
Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

Julio S,

Pray tell where do you get your information?

As a matter of fact we have a number of friends who rent properties they own through VRBO and/or Homeaway in North and South America and Europe.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

Julio....the numbers I quoted are straight from the two web portals that YOU mentioned. And all of rocketmans ridiculous posts have been removed.

Edited: 3:18 pm, May 20, 2013
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
86 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

I think I've been ripped off, too. Sent a deposit but the website still shows the dates available and they never confirmed receipt of the money. So much for that bargain. AVOIDING VRBO and LODGINGINFLORENCE.com FROM NOW ON!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

Calabresa....VRBO and LodginginFlorence.com had nothing to do with your transaction.They are merely advertising portals. They don't rent anything.

If the dates are still available on VRBO and / or LodginginFlorence.com, it is because the owner / manager of the property you are interested in didn't update the calendars.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,080 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

VRBO is just a hosting site for advertisers, just like tripadvisors vacation rentals pages. They do not say anywhere that they have vetted the apartments listed. Not sure you can blame them for what lodginginflorence have done.

My best advice is to get a friend to try to book the same apartment for the same dates and see what response they get. If they are told it is available to rent you know they are scamming you and you will have proof. Have you actually called them to discuss the rental issue?

Edited: 8:36 pm, May 21, 2013
18. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:25 am, December 15, 2013
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

With a lis\ting site as opposed to an agency, you have to look for independent positive reviews on that particular property before renting one. I have read that VRBO allows landlords to nix posting of negative reivews. Not sure if that is true. My own apt rental experience is mixed, so I am more careful nowadays and stick with agencies I know, or properties with numerous positive reviews. Slow Travel favorites are favorites for me as well. As others have pointed out both VRBO and Homeaway are NOT agencies at all but only listing sites. You would be renting from a particular small landlord with the pluses and minuses associated with that situation.

"does anyone know where can i write complaints against an italian travel agency ? who can check this agents ? is there an italian supervisor agency ? customers' service ? ...when i returned home i have checked tripadvisor and have seen many travelers that have fallen in this tourist trap."

Good luck with that. no one is going to check, that is why you have to be more cautious with you you rent from and check reviews online before you ent the landlord a cent.

"now - after this spoiled vacation in florence we have been trying to receive a compensation from this unprofessional agency.- "

being a foreigner puts one at a advantage. Suing to get compensation is not an option because you are far away from Italy and the Italian legal system moves more slowly than most countries. You could end up spending more money than you lost pursuing this course.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,259 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: shocked by reservation canceled by the agency -

<<<Homeaway and vrbo are owned by the same company and now directed towards servicing large agencies>>>

Once again....false.

You have been asked before to back up this mis-leading statement with facts and still you haven't....because you can't.

On June 16, 2013 in Tuscany

Homeaway has:

4,639 properties managed by owners,

4,255 properties managed by agency

VRBO has:

4,452 properties managed by owners.

3,223 properties managed by agency