We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pedestrian question from train station

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
79 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
pedestrian question from train station

Would appreciate your feedback: to get to our hotel in Piazza Santa Maria Novella from train station, we have been told we need to walk though a roundabout. Is this safe to with kids and luggage? Where I live this would be a dangerous prospect. Time would be about midday on a Saturday. Please let me know and thanks

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pedestrian question from train station

We walked to and from the train station with our luggage and stayed pretty close to the piazza.

Its absolutely safe (as long as you walk on the sidewalks and obey the walk signs/traffic lights)

Me and my wife had 1 checked in bag and 2 carry ons. (We dont have kids though)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pedestrian question from train station

Whoever told you this is wrong. From the train platform, turn left to exit the station (near the exit you will see a McDonald's and a farmacia, or pharmacy). Turn right and follow the stairs down to the station underpass/underground mall. Continue straight through the underpass; you will return to street level across the piazza, just to the left of the church of Santa Maria Novella.

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pedestrian question from train station

Pericoloso, it may be tougher to climb stairs with luggage and kids. Is there an elevator there? Cannot comment on the underpass as I did not take it.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pedestrian question from train station

No, but there are not many steps (a dozen?)

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pedestrian question from train station

We'd skip the underpass, quite frankly. That way you avoid all the steps. You can cross the street at the light between the station and the tourist information office/entrance to Santa Maria Novella.

And why not spring for a taxi, and save all the fuss & bother? It wouldn't be that expensive, and think of the joys of having a manly (yes, there are women cab drivers in Florence, but they are few and far between) Florentine toss your bags (but not your kids) into the trunk.

And Pericoloso's right about the neighborhood. It's perfectly safe.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
79 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pedestrian question from train station

thanks for your feedback. I did not think a taxi would want to bother with us as it is only a 4 minute walk and I assumed it would be too short a drive to make it worthwhile to the taxi driver.. Also I thought the Piazza Santa Maria Novella was ZTL so taxi could not drive us to our hotel. It does sound like walking either by underpass or street level would be safe in terms of us not getting hit by cars (that was my safety concern, not about neighborhood safety) and we can do stairs and also it sounds like at street level there are traffic lights with walk signals and not just a continual flow of cars going through a roundabout.

Thanks again

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pedestrian question from train station

"I thought the Piazza Santa Maria Novella was ZTL so taxi could not drive us to our hotel."

Taxis are among those vehicles that are free to drive in the limited traffic zone. They are also allowed to use bus lanes. These are reasons not to follow taxis blindly when you're driving near the centre!

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pedestrian question from train station

It is a busy road but it has pedestrian lights etc. I doubt if it will even take you 4 minutes to get to the piazza! Most of that will be waiting to cross the road. You couldn't be much nearer to the station and I would not have considered a taxi for that distance.

9. Re: pedestrian question from train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 17, 2014