We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions on this quickie itinarary

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions on this quickie itinarary

my husband and I will be also going to Europe for our first time. We are going in July. He will be in Zurich on business, and I will fly in so that we can spend a few days exploring Europe, primarily Italy. We have 2 young daughters, so we do not have a lot of time for this trip, unfortuneately. This is what we are considering, but we would love any advice or guidance you would offer. Thanks!

July, 2006

19th I leave for overnight flight in

20th I arrive, husband in conference

21st Explore Zurich (husband in conference ) (I may bike around the city, or shop)

22 Lake Lucerne or beach, possibly, travel to Florence by train, about 7 hours. (would like to take one day at a beach or hot spring . . is this a good choice?)

23 Florence - a day in tuscan wine region. Have heard wonderful things about 2 tours -- tuscan-wine-tours.com and accidentaltourist.com do you have a recommendation? I am already in love with italian wine and food, and feel the need to pay homage to both while here!

We would like to stay at a small and friendly establishment in the city. Tripadvisor's #1 pick is Davanzini @$130/night, but I am questioning; pictures do not look as great as the multitude of wonderful comments.

24 Expolre Florence. We would like to see perhaps the Duomo, Uffizi, and/or Pitti. Train to Rome about 2 hours. Too much?

25 Explore Rome. Must decide what it is we want a chance to visit. We will want to see some of vatican city and some architechture as well. Found availability at Nicola's Inn, a redeveloped old cloistered convent for $130/night with breakfast. A top choice stay at many websites. Your opinion?

26 Rome sights Recommendations??

27 Leave early morning (perhaps 6:20 flight?!?) to come home with layover in Amsterdam

By the way, how much time is needed to switch planes, etc. for our homebound flight to USA?

Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

The itinerary is, in my opinion, too crammed. You can't do Rome Florence and two tours coming from Switzerland in the little time you have. Skip Rome for this time.

I have stayed at the Davanzati twice and I can tell you it's a lovely, warm, clean and family like place.

The time you need for switching flights without having to recheck your luggage is usually 1"15. If you have to recheck your luggage allow another hour.

Enjoy!

Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

Thanks anon! We were not able to fly out of Florence (bonus miles ticket), and so were planning on flying out of Rome. This was not our original plan, we do not want to end up tired from a vacation; but if we are going to make it to Rome, we would like to spend a day or 2... Maybe somwthing else could be omitted??

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

Sorry, I hadn't understood from your post that you're flying out of Rome. Then, the time you allotted in each city is fine, the pace sounds very hectic though. After seven hours spent traipsing over Europe, you will feel like taking a Chianti tour? And then the day after getting again on a train to Rome?

Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

okay,

one thing I do not want is to do too much. you have really helped me to rethink our agenda. Please see my next post. I really want to do the winery thing -- even more than florence itself. Perhaps we can do a rural setting and taste the slow travel movement. A stay over must be aceessible by train and anywhere on the way from zurich to rome.. . .

thanks again

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

Well, the train from Zurich stops in Bologna, firenze and Rome. So the choice of Florence is not only a good one, but the most practical one. You don't have to see everything whilst in Florence just because you're there, though. I'll risk a suggestion. Maybe move you journey to Rome to the morning of the 25th, which will give you time to rest on the 23th and do the winery tour on the 24th. How does that sound?

Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

fine by me.

what is your opinion on the sleeper train from zurich to florence?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

I never managed to sleep on those. But they are your best option given the short time you have. Take the best sleeping option you can, give your passports to the ticket man, lock the cabin, go to sleep and do your best to forget about the gorgeous views outside.

Enjoy!

Michigan
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

well, maybe we will catch a bit of a lovely sunset, or a glimpse of the night views before we fall into a peaceful slumber.

so . .. one more question What site do I use to book the train?

thanks, you really are earning the title expert!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

Since your train departs from Zurich and you are not going to be in italy beforehand, I suggest you use the swiss railways website. I hope Suburbanite05, who is the real expert on anything to do with trains, sees this post so that he/she can add more tips.

Enjoy!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions on this quickie itinarary

While in Florence, consider staying at Il Bargello Bed and Breakfast. We had a wonderful time there in May, and the price can't be beat.

As for the wine tour, I enjoyed Tuscan Wine Tours. Rebecca's tour was well worth the money!