We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence car rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salmon Arm, B.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Florence car rental

We plan to rent a car in (near) Florence after we have spent a couple of days in Florence. I am wondering what the best location is to pick up a car when you are leaving town. Is it better to pick car up from airport and not have to worry about restricted driving zones and traffic or should we pick up from within city of Florence. Thanks for any and all advice. We are also wondering about returning the car to Florence and taking the train to Venice or should we drive to Venice and drop off car there?

Emilia-Romagna...
Level Contributor
791 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence car rental

i would pick the car up at the airport if i were you, for the restricted driving zones reason. In venice you can't use cars so i assume you should dropp off car at the airport then find a way to arrive in town.if you choose the car, halfway beetween the 2 towns, you must stop and see (even for a few hours!) the wonderful Bologna. if you are not intersted in it, then a train should be fine. there are various at different times and not also by the italian antional company (www.trenitalia.it) but also by a private company who offers top premium quality train in europe sometimes at lower prices than italian national service (www.italotreno.it)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence car rental

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auro-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.venere.com

Non EU citizens require an International Driving Permit for Italy, read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Italy, to inform on traffic restrictions and ZTL areas.

Accommodation www.venere.com

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence car rental

Pick up your car at the Florence airport. Where are you going from there? Train is the best way to get from Florence to Venice....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence car rental

If you take the train, you have to drop the car at Florence airport, take a bus or taxi to the train station (with luggage), and heft the luggage on and off the train.

I really think that, in this case, it is easier to put the luggage in the car and do the easy 4-hour drive to Venice. You can return the car at Piazzale Roma, at the end of the road into Venice, then walk to the nearby vaporetto stop and take a vaporetto to anywhere in Venice.

5. Re: Florence car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, February 08, 2013
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence car rental

If you don't mind the drive, then I would follow Nick's advice and drop the car at Piazzale Roma in Venice. It is the simplest option. If you really would prefer the train then drop the car at Florence airport and take the airport bus or a taxi to the station.

Salmon Arm, B.C.
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence car rental

I appreciate all the good advice. We will pickup the car at the airport in Florence and head over to Montespertoli area and then drive to Venice. This is such a wonderful way to get information. Thanks to all!

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence car rental

Can you give me more info on the driving permit for non EU drivers? This is the first I heard of this and I'm aleady nervous about our decision to rent a car in Italy!

Thanks!

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence car rental

It is something you can get for 10-15 dollars at you local AAA store. It does not require any knowledge. Bring along 2 passport size photos. Permits are good for 1 year.

Most likely you will never show it,. No one has ever asked for mine, But IF you get stopped by the police and don;t have one you can be fined. The rental car companies are supposed to ask for it as well, but mine never do

So do not be nervous, driving is great fun in Italy. The permit makes a fun souvenir of your trip

United States
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence car rental

I have been stopped in routine document checks more frequently in the last few years and always asked to produce it. On the last car rental (in Milan), they used the number on the IDP as my driver's license on the contract. Hertz even has it as a requirement listed on the rental voucher.

TAB