We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
612 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Hi,

I'll be visiting Italy for the first time as a female traveling alone in May.

My questions: What would be the most convenient to use, by train or by bus to travel from

Florence MN to San Gimignano (morning) and then in the afternoon from S.G. to Siena for an overnite stay..

& then Siena back to Florence.

If it's a bus , what's the name of the bus company?

I read that I can take a train from Florence to S.G. but has to stop in Poggibonsi and take a bus to go to city center of S.G.?? not sure?

Does anyone know the exact route going to these places?

Thank you very much.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Bus times www.busfox.com/timetable

Firenze to San Gimignano to Siena to Firenze

Edited: 7:56 pm, February 02, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

There is no train station at San Gimignano. The closest train station is at Poggibonsi, some 10 km away at the bottom of the hill. There is a bus from Poggibonsi station, but you do best to travel entirely by bus, using the site linked by Nurioopta.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

You have to take either the train or a bus to Poggibonsi and then catch a bus from Poggibonsi station up to San Gimignano. I would check the times of this last leg and then see whether the train or the bus connects best with that.

As stated above, the busfox timetable will give you bus times and the trenitalia website will give you train timetables.

Obviously, you will then have to bus back down to Poggibonsi and travel on to Siena. Again, you have the choice of bus or train, but bus is usually better because it drops you in the centre of Siena, whereas the train station at Siena is a few km from the centre.

You can get a fast bus back to Florence the next day, again leaving from the centre which is usually a better option than going to the train station to catch a train back.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
612 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Thank you all for your info.

Nuroopta, thanks for the link. I checked the link, it is better to Stay overnite in S.G.

My iti would be Florence to Siena ( 1:10 ) and then PM Siena to S.G. (non stop for 65 min. stay overnight in S.G., the next morning, going back to Siena for half a day siteseeing before heading back to Florence. It is easy this route.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

I have to say I don't really understand the logic of your route, you seem to be wasting time and going a lot further only to avoid changing bus at Poggibonsi. Also if you are going to overnight then surely it would make more sense to overnight in Siena, it is much bigger and has much more to see and do than San Gimignano does.

If you went from Florence to Siena, overnighted there, then went to San Gimignano for a few hours and then back to Florence, that would make more sense to me. It would certainly avoid unnecessary back tracking.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
612 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Peggypatch,

You are right, Your route is so much better and is easy. Therefore, I'm staying overnite in Siena, The next morning would be:

Siena to San Gimig 8:20 arrives 9:35 am Via 130 75min.

San Gimig to Firenze MNovella 14:00 Arrives 15:15 75 min 2 lines

Can someone tells me the last leg , cost 2.50 or 17:50 euro or more. I can't read italian in drop down menu. Also, do I need to change bus in Poggibonsi, or stay on same bus? if I do have to change, do I have the time since the departure is at 14:25?

Thanks for your patience..

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

It is two legs, catch the 130 from San G down to Poggibonsi, arriving 14.20, then change and catch the 1310 to Florence which leaves at 14.25 and arrives as 15.15. The first legs costs EUR 2.50. I'm not getting a price up for the second leg.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
612 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

Peggy,

Many thanks to your info.

What a relief! and I'm so happy to know my trip to Siena & S.G. is all set.

Have a great day.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

You are welcome, enjoy your trip!

10. Re: From Florence to San Ginignano to Siena by bus or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 10, 2014