We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route SR 222

Wolcott, IN
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
route SR 222

we will be arriving at florence airport and getting a rental car.

can anybody give me good directions for getting out of florence and onto SR 222. we will be heading to Montalcino as our base town.

would like to avoid toll roads and major highways.

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route SR 222

You need to get hold of a map and plan this journey.

By far the easiest way is to take the A11 motorway from the airport away from Florence (towards Lucca and Viareggio), then change to the A1 motorway towards Rome, taking the SS222 exit. This will have a toll of around €0.50.

I know you said you wanted to avoid tolls and main roads, but the alternative is complicated and you are likely to get lost. If you can drive on a US Interstate, you should have no problem on an Italian autostrada.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route SR 222

Check out

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k57215…

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route SR 222

Nick:

I do not believe there is an "SS222 exit". I believe the exit you're referring to traditionally was called "Firenze Sud", but is now called the exit for Impruneta.

And I believe that the "SS222" was renamed sometime ago. It is now the "SR 222".

I trust somebody will correct me if I am out of date. I haven't been out that way in a couple of months, and things keep changing

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route SR 222

Uncletomaso:

You are more likely to be right than I. My comments were based on memory of a visit a few years ago and looking at a map.

Thanks.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route SR 222

No, it was the Certosa exit that is now called Impruneta, you know the one that's approached through Galluzzo? Where you join the Autopalio to Siena? I always approach the Chiantigiana this way heading passed Impruneta (or stopping, if time allows as it merits a stop) and then dropping into the American Cemetery to pay respect. This road joins the 222 just before Greve and I feel is more scenic than coming through Strada. Technically though, the 222 starts at Grassina, which is approached via that long drawn out mess of an intersection at Firenze Sud, which is one junction down the A1 heading towards Rome. I always get hideously lost there, and was quite relieved recently to be in a car with a Tuscan friend and he too got hideously lost. The signs at this intersection change (as they often do in Italy) so that one minute you're following signs to "Chiantigiana" (which I think are in brown, if I remember rightly), then those disappear and it's "Grassina" instead, later on becoming "Greve". I've got a feeling it has become an SR. I think we need Eugene for he possibly takes it every day.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route SR 222

My map says SS and then SR alternately right the way down! I have never known which is correct.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: route SR 222

La ex strada statale 222 Chiantigiana (SS 222), ora strada regionale 222 Chiantigiana (SRT 222)[2], è una strada regionale italiana che collega Firenze e Siena." Wikipedia

According to Wikipedia it used to be an SS (state road, therefore maintained by ANAS) but is now an SR (regional road, maintained by regional funds), which I interpret as a downgrade, right? And now, I guess, it has to be maintained out of provincial funds from both Florence and Siena rather than state money? I bet the individual provinces were delighted to be saddled with yet more roads to repair, especially one as busy as this.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: route SR 222

SR it is and I bet you are spot on with that assessment of the reason for the change.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: route SR 222

There is no SS222 exit.

The SS222, known to locals as "la chiantigiana" (it's actually now SR, but only the police know it <g>), is surely a very scenic and enjoyable road, but if your destination is Montalcino it will take you forever to get there by this route. Here's the direct way (you'll still be enjoying plenty of nice scenery once you're off the Autostrada):

• Leaving the airport, follow the signs to the Autostrade.

• get on the A1 Autostrada heading south (toward Roma)

• Exit at IMPRUNETA (ex-Certosa exit). This is the exit after Scandicci, about 10km from where you got on the A1.

• Bear to the right in the toll plaza. After paying the toll, less than €1, bear all the way to the right to enter the "Fi-Si" (Firenze-Siena) highway, officially known as the "Autopalio di Siena", though no one but Lastraniera calls it that <g>.

• Exit the Fi-SI at SIENA SUD, about 60km.

• Follow the signs to BUONCONVENTO. You'll soon be on the SS2 Cassia.

• Its about 30km to Buonconvento. About 3km past the town, turn right onto the "Strada del Brunello". This will take you right up to Montalcino.

This route is pretty straightforward and will take a little under two hours.

On the other hand, if you're in no rush, by all means take the "Chiantigiana" (SS222)! To do this, simply exit the Fi-Si at IMPRUNETA-GREVE (it's the first exit) and follow the signs to Greve. Just as you leave the Fi-Si, on your right, you'll pass the American War Cemetery. The Memorial was designed by the important American architectural firm, McKim, Mead & White. Over 4,000 American servicemen are buried here, most fell during the battle of the liberation of Florence in August 1944 and in the ferocious fighting in the Appenine mountains at the end of the war, 1945. Beyond the cemetery, you'll have to turn left onto the Ss222, in the locality of Falciani, so keep your eyes open for those Greve signs. From that point on its smooth sailing, with lots of curves and hills, to Siena. As you approach Siena, start looking for the signs to the Fi-Si. This is where it can get tricky, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hope this helps!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: route SR 222

Eugene, you're right about the tricky bit as you approach Siena Acqua Calda so I now send people right at Castellina (junction is just as you leave the town) heading towards Monteriggioni. This is a very beautiful road affording fabulous views, you have the benefit of being able to stop at Monteriggioni itself for 15 mins (that's all you need) and then join the FI/SI there as the village is right next to the intersection. Exit at Siena Sud following the blue signs for Roma / Cassia / Buonconvento. If we just nip up to Florence for a morning we often come home this way. Leave Florence around 12, even allowing a stop for lunch in Greve, an ice cream in Castellina, buying some wine somewhere followed by a coffee in Monterrigioni, we're home by 6. Great drive, definitely do it.

Edited: 6:19 am, February 01, 2013