We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

wayne,nj
Level Contributor
194 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

Looking to do a day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa.

What would be the best way to do this and still make it back for a late dinner in Rome.

Florence –

1. Statue of David – any way not to wait on lines?

2. Brief walk around – what area would you recommend?

3. Also Somewhere to take great pictures and maybe see the whole city?

Pisa:

Leaning tower of Pisa… that’s it.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,692 reviews
from $112.20*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,311 reviews
from $122.10*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from $99.70*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,502 reviews
from $110.90*
$117.10
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

You can do Florence as a day trip from Rome if you get an early start and take a fast train. I don't see how you can possibly fit Pisa in as well.

How to reserve tickets to avoid the queue for David:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c145508/Tusca…

One day in Florence ideas (option 1 includes view over the whole city):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c148104/Flore…

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

A 6:57 AM Frecciabiana train from Termini will get you to Pisa Centrale at 9:30 AM (46 Euro, second class).

It's a half hour walk, or a ten minute cab ride, to the Piazza dei Miracoli (Leaning Tower).

An 11:11 AM regionale train from Pisa Centrale puts you in Florence at noon (Euro 7,80).

Finally, a 6:04 Frecciarosa train from Florence gets you back to Rome at 7:30 PM (43 Euro), in plenty of time for dinner.

A good overview of Florence can be had from either Piazzale Michelangelo or from the top of the dome at the Duomo (which is fun to climb).

If you want to see David, make reservations in advance to avoid the line. The official web site is here: b-ticket.com/b-ticket/…venueAccademia.aspx

Edited: 8:39 am, January 31, 2013
wayne,nj
Level Contributor
194 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

thanks. can i purchase train passes online? i will be using trains to naples and rome as well. so i think a pass would be better. could not find an area to buy passes at /www.trenitalia.com

can i make the reservation for the train the day before. is that enough time ?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

You purchase individual point to point tickets for trains in Italy, not passes. You can purchase them on-line and can sometimes get good discounts by doing so. The web site is www.trenitalia.com.

You can also wait and purchase on site. It's unlikely that the train will sell out, but you will pay full price at the last minute.

5. Re: day trip from Rome to Florence & Pisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2014