We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawthorn Woods...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Hi,

We will be in Italy from April 29th until May 10th this year. We plan on spending 3 nights in Rome, 2 nights in the Tuscany Countryside (farmhouse??), possibly either Chianti or Siena. We will then spend 2 nights in Florence, 2 nights in Cinque Terre, and our last two nights on Venice before heading home to Chicago from Venice. Will we be able to take the train for all of these locations? Can we pre-book our trips?

Also any recommendations for the Tuscany Countryside? We are professional photographers, looking for the absolute best views. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

You need a car to explore to explore the Tuscan countryside....Val D'Orcia is great for photographers.

As for the rest of your trip, you can do it by train, but it looks exhausting....

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Two nights in a place is effectively just one day, as the days either side are half spent in travelling and in moving out of and into hotels.

Perhaps miss out on going to the Cinque Terre, which is off-route on slow train lines which would add six or seven hours to your travelling time and add several changes of train. That could leave your train travel as only on direct high speed trains - 90 minutes from Rome to Florence, and two hours from Florence to Venice.

Explore train times and book on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - though to find cheap fares available from 120 days in advance it can be better to use http://www.trenitalia.com which requires station names in italian.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Gaileen, I am as wiped out as datthecoast just reading your itinerary ;)

I am counting nine (9) nights and four (4) stops, which is more like a mortal sin on this forum ;) Best you can do with your time is do the big three: Rome, Florence and Venice in any combo that suits your interests, and leave the rest for your next holiday. And that is being real on the go.

If you want to rent a car, you could skip "something", e.g. Florence or Venice (here goes another sin) and include the countryside. Otherwise, with train as your means of transport, stick to the big hubs.

California
Level Contributor
298 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Agree with others - that is one packed itinerary. We did 13 days in Italy last summer. Had a base in Florence for a week. During that time we did a Best of Tuscany tour with Walkabout that took us to Siena, San Gemingnano and Pisa as well as the Tuscan countryside in one day. We took a train from Florence to Venice and stayed overnight before coming back to Florence. Then spent 5 nights in Rome. We booked trains from Florence to Venice and Florence to Rome on the high speed Trenitalia trains. Super cheap if booked in advance (think it was 9e) and very fast. So easy to get to those spots, but unless you do a tour like we did you'll need to drive to the hill towns and Tuscan countryside. You'll have a great trip no matter what - but a better one if you limit the stops.

Champaign
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Just did six nights in Rome, two nights in Florence, and two nights in Venice over Christmas and New Years. I knew that we just wanted to hit some highlights in Florence and Venice, but I really wish in hindsight that I had scheduled three nights each in Florence and Venice. The travel days just really sucked up much more time than I thought when I planned the vacation and we really did not have the half days that I expected with such short train travel times between the three cities.

NNJ
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

If you are sure about your schedule, you should get train tickests as early as possible for significant discount. For example, the full fare from Milan to Venice is 37.5euro, the lowest fare is 9 (>75% off)!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

Everyone appreciates different things, and everyone travels at a different pace. My plan over 12 days would be:

3 days Rome

2 days Florence

4 days Tuscany (Siena, Chianti plus a couple of hilltowns if you have a car; Lucca, Pisa and San Gimignano if you don't have one)

2 days Venice

1 day in general that is spent on traveling

Edited: 12:54 pm, February 02, 2013
8. Re: Train availability when traveling from Rome to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 04, 2014