We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail and itinerary question

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rail and itinerary question

Looking to travel from Pescara to Florence by rail. What do you suggest is best route? Through Ancona or Rome? My husband and I are in our very early 50's and travel well (grin). We love good wine and good food, but do need to keep an eye on the budget. We are looking for a slow, lovely trip to Italy. Just at the very starting point of creating our itinerary. Here's what I am thinking so far. ALL advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Fly into Rome (Late September through early October .. not sure of best time to travel)

Spend a few days in Rome playing tourist (would love any advice and recommendations though I will most certainly be searching your Rome forum very soon)

Then we go (I think) on an epicurean trip to Abruzzo region. We would be based in Carunchio and would stay at the Palazzo Tour d'Eau for 6 nights (this is a tour we found that looks lovely. My mother who went to Italy over 70 years ago thinks I am crazy for wasting my time here. I would appreciate more recent vacationers' advice on this)

From there we are planning on taking the train to Florence, where we will meet family and spend a week in Tuscany playing in the wine country. Looking at the rail routes, we could go along the coast with perhaps a stopover in Ancona or we could travel through central Italy to Florence.

After Tuscany, we plan on finishing our trip with a few days around either Cinque Terre or a seaside village (Civitavecchia maybe? Advice here is most welcome also) before returning home.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rail and itinerary question

Your planned trip to Italy is so similar to one my husband and I will also be taking in Sept/Oct! We are spending a week in Tuscany renting a Villa with 9 others in the family. Our second week we are still "up in the air" with. You mentioned Cinque Terra and that is one area we do hope to visit as that is where my husband's ancestors came from. I too will hope trails will be open by then.

12. Re: Rail and itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 30, 2014