We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Car rental

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Car rental

I have looked at several car rentals which vary in price a great deal. Two questions

We will rent a car after staying in Florence to travel ot the wine country south of Florence. We are staying in an apt. in center of town. Where is the best place to rent (location and company? I have read it is not advisable to drive in the city. When we return car 3 days later we are taking train to Cinque Terre.

2. We will also rent a car in Venice to travel the wine country north of the city. We will arrive by train (would love to store our luggage at train station) and walk Venice for a few hours before picking up a rental car. When we return the car 3 days later, we will take the train to Florence to fly home. What is best place (location) and company there?

The insurance for cars seems to be a whole different area of discussion.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
27,526 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Car rental

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

From Florence airport

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International Driving Permit for Italy.

Read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Italy, to inform on traffic restrictions and ZTL areas.

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.discovertuscany.com

www.venice-tourism.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Car rental

There is no one best answer for the question about which is the best company to rent from. If cost matters, you simply have to shop around. AutoEurope specializes in long-term rentals (a week or more). They rarely do better than anybody else for the short-term. See what deal you can get through whatever car rental company or companies your airline is hooked up with. Also check sites like Travelocity and AutoEurope. Also check directly with the car rental companies themselves to see what they are offering. We try to do business directly with Hertz or Europcar, or indirectly with them through Auto-Europe or one of the other sites.

As for insurance, all rentals in the EU must, by law, provide liability insurance. For everything else, our experience is that you have two choices - you can pay through the nose for whatever the car rental company wants to sell you, or you can rely on coverage in some travel insurance policy or, as we do, rely on coverage from VISA or MasterCard - American Express has a prejudice against countries starting in "I" - Italy, Israel, etc., and doesn't provide such coverage there. Check with your credit card company - not the bank that issues the credit.

ohio
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Car rental

For Florence we found Hertz to have the best prices from their location on Via del Sansovino . For us it is easier to drive south from here. Also right now there is a sale of up to 33% off worldwide reservations.

hertz.com/rentacar/specialoffers/index.jsp…

Also made sure you display all 32 vehicles. There is a Ford Fiesta Automatic (if needed) for a good price . We rented the Peugeot 5008(manual) because of size and luggage.

Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Car rental

Thank you for letting me know about Hertz. I have checked all 3 locations and it appears that the one at Via Borgo Ognissanti would be the easiest to access SS222 towards Greve. Is that true?

Also, when we return the car, we will be taking a train so I am not sure if that location is anywhere close to the station. Any ideas?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
5. Re: Car rental

I was going to rent for one day only what price were you quoted?

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Car rental

If you are returning the car in Florence, be sure you get very specific directions in order to avoid getting a fine in a bus lane or ZTL. You might even want to walk the return "path" to see if there are any tricky parts you need to be aware of before you are trying to drive it.

TAB

Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Car rental

For a Ford Fiesta manual $54.73 a day and slightly higher. This was from the Via Borgo Ognissanti.

8. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 30, 2014