We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis - Firenze Est

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Avis - Firenze Est

How difficult is it to avoid the TZL's leaving or arriving at this Avis location? Considering at least dropping off at this location but perhaps pick up too Any advice? We are will be traveling by train prior to and after the car rental so am trying to avoid the airport location. However, if it is too risky we will make the schlep (there are 6 of us). Thanks

Firenze Est - FI5

Via Borgognissanti 128 R

NA Florence 50123

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avis - Firenze Est

Borg'Ognissanti 128R is in the heart of Florence, about seven minutes' walk south of the railroad station. I have no clue why Avis would call that "Firenze Est". The Borg'Ognissanti is actually on the western edge of the historic center.

It is possible, but not so easy, to avoid the ZTL (note the correct initials) by driving either due west or as due south, across the river, as possible.

It is much more difficult to avoid the ZTL returning the car to that location..

Wherever you go, it is much, much easier to drop it off at the airport - for which there should be no extra charge - and then taking the bus back to the railroad station.

What kind of car are you getting for six people?

Mentioned in this post
Ognissanti
Ognissanti
99 Reviews
Florence, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avis - Firenze Est

Thanks Uncle (and also for correcting my abbreviation). We'll stick with the airport drop off then.

I'm renting a Mercedes Vito minivan (as I was told on TA that the Ford Galaxy was too small) and trying to avoid larger Fiat Scudo.

We are a group of two smaller adult women, two female teens and two kids (7 and 9) with small carryon sized suitcases. I'm fine with being squished with our luggage to/from the villa to avoid driving a bigger van the duration of the week (as long as it all fits).

Our original plan is to pickup the van at FCO and drive to our villa in Tuscany, returning the van to FLR prior to staying in Firenze for two nights. Back up plan is to train to Florence from Rome to get the car, however if the airport location is best, that sounds like too much schlepping. Any thoughts?

Also, is there a link for the airport bus (for schedule and fares)? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avis - Firenze Est

If you're not spending time in Rome, I do not understand why you're flying into FCO, but if you are, then I would pick up the car there. Getting six people from FCO to the Termini in Rome and from there to Firenze SMN and from there . . . is going to be an expensive, time consuming, and complicated schlep.

You don't say where the villa is, but there are different routes depending.

You can find information about the bus at: …firenze.it/en/…bus.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
183 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avis - Firenze Est

We saved $500 per person flying into fco! We're staying in gaiole in chianti. I thought it made the most sense to rent the car in Rome, so we'll stick with that. Thanks again.

5. Re: Avis - Firenze Est

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 20, 2014