We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

See other reviewers that have had similar experiences. We have experienced this only in Florence,

in the busy tourist shopping district steer clear of the "Best Price " "Cambio" change storefronts do a bait and switch on the commission. The price posted is for "thousand" dollar unit and the fee charged is 19.90 % . They will refuse to stop the transaction.

There is A STOREFRONT at the NORTH foot of the PONTE VECCHIO . IT STATES "BEST RATE" OR "BEST PRICE"

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
17 reviews
11. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

I know people don't like to carry cash around, but I still think that changing $1000 of your home country's currency before leaving for a trip is the best way to go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
17 reviews
12. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

Actually, I just went on the Travelex website and the top up exchange rate for the cash passport is almost the same (less than 1% difference) as the exchange rate in cash.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
13. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

I always change currency at home. I won't get cheated and will probably lose a few $ compared to the best rates, but at least I have complete peace of minds.

All places have their fair shares of bat hats.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
8,697 posts
70 reviews
14. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

Zomp416 ...We used to always change cash before leaving Australia but thanks to SydneyNick and some others last trip we got a Citibank account and traveled 100% fee free. No charge for ATM withdrawals or purchases and the best exchange rate ever.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
17 reviews
15. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

Yes the citibank card was a topic of discussion on another thread. I just learnt about it too and am going to look into it. I only have one debit card so I need a back up in case it gets stolen or lost overseas. I can use the citibank card for transactions and leave my debit card locked in my luggage at the hotel for emergencies.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
2 reviews
16. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

Zomp, I am glad to hear that you will be looking into it. The citibank account/debit card is really as good as it sounds. Good idea to bring another card as a backup. I also learnt about citibank from SydneyNick and Lyn but on another forum.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
17. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

We exchanged about £60 received about €40 back, to top it off we were refused a refund! (Refunds are pretty standard). Day light robbery!

I find using travel card with Euros on it very useful. It works just like credit or debit card, all restaurants and everywhere with a card machine accepts them. You can carry 1000 euros on you or more if you want still have a tasty exchange rate. I got mine from Thompson I'm sure there many out there.

If all you have cash from your own country paying a charge at ATM machine is probably for best bet, and lot cheaper them going to the crooks at the exchange shops.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
76,614 posts
12 reviews
18. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

The travel cards available in UK are quite good value, but those sold in Australia and USA should be avoided. They have high fees and/or a poor exchange rate.

19. Re: WARNING !! be careful when chaiging currency in Florence !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 06, 2014