We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

My family is making our first trip to Italy next year, and we'll be spending 4 days in Florence. My mother-in-law will be with us, so in order to save a little money and also have a bit more space, we are looking into apartment rentals. We found a 2 bedroom that appears to be a perfect fit. The owner has responded to my inquiry and stated she does not require a deposit, because she doesn't charge a cancellation fee. I've rented from owners on vrbo several times here in the US and have always paid a deposit, so I'm a little suspicious about this practice. Also, I have a question about location. The apartment is listed as being in Santa Croce on Piazza dei Peruzzi. Is this a good area?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

I've rented villas and houses all around the world and I have always paid a deposit. Sounds too good to be true!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

VRBO stands for Vacation Rental By Owner, so the owner of each property sets the terms and conditions.

It is unusual not to ask for a deposit, but not unknown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

On 2 occasions I rented where a deposit was not required and like you it left me concerned. Fortunately on both occasions everything went well.

What I did do beforehand was email the owner/mgr about once a month just to reconfirm my arrival so if something did change I would have time to rebook.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,029 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

we rented a place in Montepulciano for two weeks fall before last -- no deposit

everything went smoothly but I was also a little nervous about it. it was one of our best rental experiences; great place.

what you really need are some reviews and a plan B in case things didn't go well -- but apparently some people are willing to run the risk of no shows and just deal in cash on arrival.

ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

I believe we are renting the same apt. in March. I read the comments left by those who have rented one of her apts. I feel comfortable dealing with her. The apts are amazing and the price is very fair. The area is great. We have been to Florence twice before. I know it is very unusual for no deposit required. When do you go? If after us, I could send you an email to tell you how it went.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

I, also, am renting apartments in September 2013. Only the one in Rome required a deposit. Those in Venice and Florence did not. I also thought it unusual, but I'm going to do as advised by Sogna2re in a reply above and email them every month or so just to see if everything is okay. I have been in contact with both owners several times already and they assure me that I am booked and cash on arrival is how it will be handled.

7. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:31 am, December 11, 2012
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

Mskd - not a good idea to post your email - delete the post and repost without it, otherwise you risk getting loads of spam. Best to contact via personal message - just click on the name and scroll down to 'send message'

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,104 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

MSKD agree re email address.

I think anyone who doesn't require a deposit is an optimistic saint. There is no advantage to them and every advantage to you. They are trusting you to turn up. If you can't, please give notice as far ahead as you can so they can re-let.

I am far more worried about anyone who wants all the money three months in advance by Western Union.

We have had many delightful lets by people who demanded no up front payment. They are usually small operators who are delighted to let their apartment.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vrbo apartment rental...no deposit?

Thank you for the responses. Knowing that others have also encountered owners that don't require deposits puts my mind at ease, and I appreciate the tips. I'll be sure to reconfirm before arrival and have a plan B in place.

Opie - I just found two of her other apartments in the same building listed on vrbo...all have impressive reviews. We're traveling in June, so I would definitely like feedback from you if it's not too much trouble. Enjoy your trip!

Periicoloso - Thanks for the heads up. I clearly wasn't thinking.

Lynn - After thinking about it, I came to the same conclusion. There is absolutely no benefit to the owner to not require any money beforehand. I think I just get a little leery when something seems too good to be true. I would definitely give as much advance notice as possible if we couldn't make it, but if things go according to plan, I will be posting a trip report in about six months containing details of the wonderful apartment we stayed at in Florence!