We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Hi,

Hubby and I are planning to take the Thello overnight sleeper train from Paris to Florence on December 28th. I want to be sure we are booking the correct cabin so we do not end up sleeping with strangers. There are only the two of us - so we should book the "Cabin 2 beds", right? The "Cabin 1 bed" is confusing me because it gives us the option to put two passengers in there.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Information on the Thello train www.seat61.com Enter "Thello" in the search engine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

I would advise you to book a cheap airline flight instead. If you do a search, you will find several threads with highly critical reports of travel on this train.

easyJet will fly you from Paris Orly to Pisa in 95 minutes with prices starting at €40.

Edited: 6:25 pm, November 10, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Thanks for the reply, Nurioopta and Sydneynick!

Nurioopta, I actually went over seat61's page and video on the Thello, as well as a few threads regarding the Thello on TripAdvisor. Seat61 states you pay by the berth (bed), so I'm 90% sure we should be booking the "Cabin 2 beds". I'm just wondering why they would allow you to book 2 in the "Cabin 1 bed". Is the 1 bed bigger that it can accommodate?

Sydneynick, our original plan was to fly direct from Paris to Florence with Vueling Airlines ($326 for 2 people, so cheaper than train). However, my husband's manager who vacations to Italy every year for a month, advise us that the Florence airport is highly unpredictable during the winter holidays, and may shut down. We would still be able to get to Florence with all the detours they make, but the original time saved may not be much, if any. Thus, the decision to take the long train ride. =(

Thanks for your time again!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

LLouise2009,

I am having the same question as I work through details of a trip this summer for me and my wife. Would you please let me know when you know what the right answer is? And also, I would love to hear a report of what you thought of the journey on Thello and any tips. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Slopeboy40,

Sorry for the late reply. We ended up booking the overnight train through Trenitalia because we attempted purchasing through Thello three times unsuccessfully. We booked the Cabin 2 beds.

I don't have much to offer at the moment ... trip will be in 3 weeks, so I can report back then.

Have fun planning!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Thanks! I'll look forward to your report before I book ;)

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

I am accepting the www.seat61.com recommendation to travel by the Thello train to Florence from Paris in the Autumn. It has to be better than using the airlines, even if flying is far cheaper.

Bill

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

groundedtravel.com/routes/rail/europe/paris-…

For the "cabin beds", as opposed to 4-6 berth "couchettes", there are 3 beds in all cabins! You can book 1, 2 or 3 beds in the same cabin.

If you book 1 bed and then 2 of you climb aboard, 1 doesn't have any sort of accommodation for the night. Even if you would otherwise have a 3-berth cabin (with one bed made up) for the night, the controller would of course make the 2nd person pay on board to use one of the other beds.

Edited: 8:35 am, March 02, 2013
Paris, France
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

Hi Llouise2009 and everybody

could you give me some feedbacks of your overnight from Paris to Florence? I'm hesitating to book it for a trip in November. I read bad feedbacks about Thello very old and dirty train but most feedbacks are on trips to Venise. So I wonder if it's the same for Florence.

Thanks in advance

10. Re: Thello Overnight from Paris to Florence - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 pm, February 16, 2015