We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

How much or what abbreviated sites should we do from ealy morning to about 4pm. We need to get a train to Rome Termini that evening. Like sculpute better than art but imagine we shold not miss the famous Uffizzi.

Your suggestions?

We arrive by train to SMN the afternoon before and check into Hotel in Piazza SMN. A npa, dinner and bit of siteseeing or opera would be all we could handle the arrival day.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

but if for some reason it's crowded, skip the climb and then go up to piazzale michelangelo.

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

We did both the climb of the Duomo (firtst thing in the am when it opened) and the Piazza Michelangelo (at sunset). Both were amazing! The view from the top of the Duomo is 360 degrees, looking down and out on the whole city and those quintessential red rooftops and yellow buildings. However, you are in the Duomo, so obviously you don't see that itself. The view from atop the Piazza with the sun setting and the colors it throws across the city was just awe inspiring. I imagine it would be great any time of day, though and you will see all the major sights in your view, more of a straight panorama than from atop the Duomo. Both were strenuous climbs, although you could take a bus or taxi up to the Piazza. I am 40 plus, somewhat overweight and in moderate shape and did both, with water in hand and stops along the way. We did this in the 90 plus degree heat of July! I don't think you can go wrong with either, so I would fit in whichever will work best for your schedule. If you are early risers, I would do the Duomo first thing, no lines.

If you are not art lovers, I would agree with others, skip the Uffizzi and go to the Accademia to see the David. I do enjoy art and after a while, was bored with the extent of the art in the Uffizi. Ended up picking and choosing a few favorites to see. Did not get to the Bargello but hear it is wonderful. We did enjoy the sculptures in and around the Pallazzo Signoria as others mentioned.

Enjoy no matter what you do, we loved Florence!

Edited: 8:15 pm, October 07, 2012
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

You must have hit an unusually quiet few days. The queues to climb the dome were very long by about 10.30am last April and the April before and a friend of mine queued for an hour to climb up it in mid-May this year. I guess the thing to do, is walk by and see what it is like, if the OP fancies the climb.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

I was flabbergasted to read that there weren't long queues in May or that Florence was not overly crowded.

I was there at the end of May, this year - there were long queues to enter the Duomo and to climb the dome. I became really frustrated finding my way through the crowds and, in particular, the ubiquitous tour groups who seemed to think that they had the right of way over other pedestrians, taxis etc.

Anyway, if the OP prefers sculpture to paintings, then an early reservation for the Accademia is an excellent recommendation. If time permits, you might enjoy a visit to the Opera dell'Opera del Duomo, just by the Duomo, there are, at least according to my experience, never any queues, and has two of my favourite sculptures: Donatello's Maddelena and Michelangelo's Pieta ( I realise that, technically, it might not be his best - but I find it the most moving) . Also, you can find out about the history regarding the construction of the dome.

Skipping the queue to climb the dome (if it is long) and going to the Piazzale Michelangelo is a great idea. I'm no longer young, however, I find that the walk up there need not be that strenuous. If you don't want an arduous climb, I would recommend going through the neighbourhood of San Niccolo, which is worth seeing as it is a typical, less touristy area of the oltrarno, then through the Porta San Miniato - taking the shallow stairs to your left and seeing the panorama of Florence unfold as you climb. Along your way - in May - the rose gardens will probably be open and you could enjoy the view of the city from there (there are some amusing statues).

The view from Piazzale Michelangelo is spectacular, but if you could possibly squeeze it in, the beautiful church on San Miniato is more than worth a visit - and the view of the city from there is even more wonderful.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

ladybracknell, nothing you read on the internet should ever make you "flabbergasted".

If you care to read my trip report from last year (where I kept saying "where are the crowds?" I'll be happy to share you the link so you can read about my experiences if you doubt their authenticity.

But it's true. No huge lines anywhere. Although, we skipped the lines at both the uffizi and accademia by pre-purchasing tickets and going at 9am to each... We really never encountered crowds in late May in Florence. That was my experience. It may not be yours, and I'm not saying it will.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k45963…

Edited: 7:24 pm, October 10, 2012
Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

In my experience in Florence in May - and elsewhere in central Italy - it is not surprising to find a significant drop-off in the number of tourists from northern Europe, Asia, and America - at least when compared with Easter and with the months after schools and universities shut down. That reduction in tourism is frequently balanced by an increase in tourism by Italians - especially by schoolchildren.

All in all, I'd call that win-win.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

We will be taking a day trip to Florence from Rome next month. Here is the itinerary that I made up for us. Not sure how timing will be but I posted a forum topic and got some good feedback about my itinerary. Hope this helps!

One more thing, we are taking a later train back to Rome around 7pm so you may want to cut out part of this itinerary should you choose to follow it.

9:30am: Arrive in Florence and head toward Duomo

10:30am: Find a cafe to have coffee & quick breakfast

11:00am: Visit Accademia to see the Statue of David

12:00pm: Head toward Piazza Della Signoria to explore & have lunch

1:30pm: Trek to Ponte Vecchio

2:30pm: Head toward Oltrarno to shop

6:30pm: Trek back to Ponte Vecchio for evening pictures

7:00pm: Head back to Firenze SM Novella to catch train back to Rome

Good luck :)

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Just to point out that the 'trek' from PDS to Ponte Vecchio is about 50 metres :)

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Since this will be our second day in Italy, so moving a bit slower than usual fast (athletic) pace, should we go ahead and buy our tix ahead of time HOPING the flights arrive the day before, Some sites have mentioned buying tix at their hotels but that doesn't happen, we could be looking at a long wait and miss several other sites that day.

20. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 14, 2013