We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

How much or what abbreviated sites should we do from ealy morning to about 4pm. We need to get a train to Rome Termini that evening. Like sculpute better than art but imagine we shold not miss the famous Uffizzi.

Your suggestions?

We arrive by train to SMN the afternoon before and check into Hotel in Piazza SMN. A npa, dinner and bit of siteseeing or opera would be all we could handle the arrival day.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Have a look at these suggestions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c148104/Flore…

Unless you are really into renaissance art then do yourself a favour and skip the large and very crowded Uffizi. Instead if you are into sculpture make reservations to see David at the Accademia and visit the small, but never too crowded wonderful Bargello. Also don't miss the Piazza della Signoria which has lots of sculpture and is free

Hereford
Level Contributor
307 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

You are on limited time and it's your trip, first rule is dont feel pressured to do 'must do's' just because thats common opinion, you like sculpture so 'fill your boots' with outstanding pieces of sculpture at

The Bargello

http://193.42.139.9/english/musei/bargello/ and

the Duomo Museum located behind the Duomo itself containing original pieces from the Duomo and a wooden sculpture from Donatello that is incredible http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/

and of course the Accademia has the original David, but if time is of the essence check out the Palazzo Vecchia area where there is a replica and under the loggia further sculptures of high regard

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

Great information in the above link

Thank you

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

I will try to print out hte list of suggestions in the link

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

If I had 1 full day in Florence this is what I'd do:

Start at the Accademia Early with reservations (the academia is where Michelangelo's David is and you won't need more than 45 minutes at this museum). From there I'd walk down to the Duomo and go inside and after I'd climb to the top for amazing views of Florence. I'd walk around the Duomo, see the baptistry and the baptistry doors (the start of the renaissance) and I'd head down Via Del Pronconsolo passing the Bargello. If you had an extra hour, I'd go visit the Bargello. Amazing museum. But if you don't have the time I'd instead keep walking and hang a left and visit Santa Croce where some of Italy's greats are buried. Have lunch nearby. After lunch I'd then walk west to Piazza della Signoria and see the Palazzo Vecchio (from the outside). After taking in the square walk next-door to the piazza of the Uffizi. You won't have time for the Uffizi, but walk past the cool building taking in the statues of some of the great florentines on either side of you. continue heading south, and you're at the Arno. Turn right and go for one block until you reach the Ponte Vecchio. Cross the Ponte Vecchio. Then walk up to Piazzale Michelangelo for amazing views over Florence stopping for wine or a gelato along the way.

As you return (presumably to the train station, I'd again walk down the same path but instead of heading towards ponte vecchio I'd wander through Oltrarno some more perhaps wandering past the Pitti Palace and then across the arno and back to the station.

If that was me and I had 1 day (presumably a day trip) that's how I'd spend it. :-)

Since you only have till 4 pm... you maybe won't be able to cross the river and walk up to piazzale michelangelo and will need to cut that part out.

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

VTJedi-- How nice of you to take the time to send a day's route through Florence! I will print this for my itinerary file.You have included some of the things I did want to be sure to do.

The 4pm isn't a booked train reservation, so can be a bit flexible. We haven't decided whether to purchase train tix in advance to Rome. Others have advised we can get tix readily when we arrive at station, we could take more time that day for sites.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

You don't say when you going, but unless it is winter time, then there are likely to be queues to the duomo and to climb the dome.

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

We are early risers, although this is our first full day in Italy. So it will be mid May on a thursday, I wonder if there will still be a long queue. Would the view of Florence form cross the river (michealangelo) be a good substitute?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

If you go to the dome early in the morning there may not be much of a queue, but by mid-morning there will certainly be in May. You could climb the Campanile instead which is right next to the Duomo, but rarely has a long queue. The view of Piazzale Michelangelo, is the best view of Florence to be had, in my opinion, so yes, it would be a good substitute.

Edited: 9:44 am, October 07, 2012
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for walking tour of Florence

When we were in florence at the end of last May there were never any long lines for the duomo climb. Never. And we walked past each day late morning just a about.

Then again, we didn't think florence was all that crowded when we were there in late may :-)